Cadets 2017

No worries right now you are in the top three.

7 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

Hopefully YEA answers my email today. I asked about volunteering. I'm assuming they didn't answer sooner because it was a holiday

My suggestion is to contact Mike Pfeil directly. 

Fan of the Arts

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

An old Joan Rivers line...."can we talk"?  I am a huge supporter of both Kristy and Joe!  Their work speaks for itself.  Have you noticed no noise in the background?  That's because alumni must be extremely happy with these kids and the show because we would hear it if they weren't. You have never been so right when you said "Alumni can be absolutely brutal and some of the worse Cadet critics".  There were so many distractions last year at times it wasn't fun even volunteering.  But it wasn't enough to keep me away this summer and believe me I thought about it.

Fan of the Arts

Glad you're back. I always loved your daily blogs and seeing you is a comfort to the vets. A sense of continuity with all the staff changes. (Great changes, but still changes). Can't wait to start reading! My sources say your arrival is within a few days.

4 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Glad you're back. I always loved your daily blogs and seeing you is a comfort to the vets. A sense of continuity with all the staff changes. (Great changes, but still changes). Can't wait to start reading! My sources say your arrival is within a few days.

Thanks, I appreciate the warm welcome.  Your source is correct, I meet up with the Cadets in Urbana on Thursday.  Short ride for me coming from Washington D.C.

Fan of the Arts

8 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

Thanks, I appreciate the warm welcome.  Your source is correct, I meet up with the Cadets in Urbana on Thursday.  Short ride for me coming from Washington D.C.

Fan of the Arts

I live in DC too. 

9 hours ago, DITD said:

This. I don't know about you guys, but before the season and up to the premier, I had friends who were already counting them out. Some of them were pleasantly surprised as they've been able to see the show, and the rest are wrestling with the growing reality that this is a different corps than they thought it would be. It's simply inspiring. 

I'll admit myself that I was in this camp. When the "shake-down" happened last August with Boston obtaining many staff and designers from both Cadets and Crown, I really felt things could get bad.  And to be honest, Cadets have felt some of that effect, as has Crown.  You simply can't lose that many staff members and designers and not feel the effects. Then after seeing some early spring training video I was happy to see the Cadets trying some new things, but still felt they would be somewhat challenged in brass, visual, maybe even GE.  

Move forward to the tour premiere, which I did not see in the Theater and I was not there live obviously; but I read all the trash talk about how poor the Cadets show was. So then I get to see the Cadets in person in Massillon a few days later and I was shocked by what I saw and heard. They just blew me away. Maybe not quite the same way Bluecoats did, but right now Bluecoats are clicking on all cylinders.  But for what I thought I might see out of Cadets my initial impression was "this could be a top 5 show."  Competition will be tough. I still expect Bluecoats and Blue Devils to duke this one out. SCV has a nice show that is growing on me. But Crown and Cadets are both plenty good.  Cadets have some advantages in GE, visual, guard, and percussion as they clean. Brass is good for Cadets. Should not hold them back too much. It's not a 2013 brass line, but they are playing well. But Cadets percussion, guard, total visual, and GE could help them get hot, especially if they can close this show the right way.  

The moral of the story is that winter audio and video clips, and early-season spring training video can be very deceiving. Sometimes you just have to see a show when mostly finished and live in person to really get a feel for it. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

But Cadets percussion, guard, total visual, and GE could help them get hot, especially if they can close this show the right way. 

Hop said the other day that the team was happy with the direction of 90% of the program, and they had to make sure the closer addition they're adding in finished this show- not finish a different show. Intriguing!  Of course he wasn't going to let on what they're actually going to do. Just implied that the stained glass prop staging in the back has something to do with it. Hoping they hit a homerun this tag.  It will come at just the right time in addition to cleaning, small tweaks, etc.