Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Because it's Cadets.

No. I have been a huge Cadets fan ever since George Z. moved to Cadets in 1982. I went to a practice in Ada this Spring on a weekday evening even though it was over an hour and a half drive each way. I really like the show this year and said so on this thread right after I saw the show in Indy. I don't want the Z-pull to end what I consider to be a new and fresh Cadets' show because I think it would be a step backward. I would much rather see something new and innovative. You are certainly entitled to your opinion if you would like to see the Z-pull again, but my opinion that the Z-pull should be retired is not "Because it is the Cadets."

• Like 3

the classic "Z pull" probably doesn't fit this show other than a "homage" to the 1983 production

the maneuver itself shows up in countless drills and iterations these days - pulling a curved line into a straighter/longer line is a given in modern drill writing. You can find mini and max "Z pulls" in many programs if you watch. It's almost ubiquitous 

it could be worked in more subtly or as a portion of the closing drill without it being THE ending statement

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

No. I have been a huge Cadets fan ever since George Z. moved to Cadets in 1982. I went to a practice in Ada this Spring on a weekday evening even though it was over an hour and a half drive each way. I really like the show this year and said so on this thread right after I saw the show in Indy. I don't want the Z-pull to end what I consider to be a new and fresh Cadets' show because I think it would be a step backward. I would much rather see something new and innovative. You are certainly entitled to your opinion if you would like to see the Z-pull again, but my opinion that the Z-pull should be retired is not "Because it is the Cadets."

You're correct. Cadets would get flack if they did it because it is deemed a revisit to the past and yes, why not do something new. The concept of a Zpull can certainly be encorporated as a logical transition moment as George Dixon brilliantly suggested in this thread but not as the focal point. 

• Like 1

I think they should end it with every Cadet racing willy-nilly for the exit, cutting off people and nearly running them down.  

Isn't that what happens in the parking lot after every Mass?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I think they should end it with every Cadet racing willy-nilly for the exit, cutting off people and nearly running them down.  

Isn't that what happens in the parking lot after every Mass?

that's only in the cheap parishes that don't do Coffee and donuts after Mass. I thought you were an atheist. No cheap shots allowed.

• Like 1

On FB Hopkins just said the corps was able to finish learning the new drill yesterday even with the rain

I dropped by late afternoon at rehearsal and they were running an ensemble with just brass and drums - running short chunks of the show. A lot of emphasis on the field stuff and the brass when I was briefly there

Seemed like guard and pit spent the day indoors - locally it was a very rainy day 

Yeah, I'm an atheist.  But I come from a long line of Catholics.  Even married one.

I was actually kind of expecting to see a ChiRho somewhere on the field at some point.  They do one set that's reminiscent of it, but not actually it.

• Like 2

Mr. Hopkins just confirmed on Facebook that he is apparently in agreement with @Jurassic Lancer:  the closer will not contain a Z-pull, which Mr. Hopkins considers retired from the Cadets repertoire.  It will also not be super-speed drill - it will be appropriate to the program.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Yeah, I'm an atheist.  But I come from a long line of Catholics.  Even married one.

I was actually kind of expecting to see a ChiRho somewhere on the field at some point.  They do one set that's reminiscent of it, but not actually it.

I knew Owen had to get the good side from somewhere, ha, ha.

6 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Mr. Hopkins just confirmed on Facebook that he is apparently in agreement with @Jurassic Lancer:  the closer will not contain a Z-pull, which Mr. Hopkins considers retired from the Cadets repertoire.  It will also not be super-speed drill - it will be appropriate to the program.

Huh. Go figure. Do I get a door prize? I am so seldom right.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1