Cadets 2017

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

DCP is mentioned and in a complimentary, engaging way.

I think it's crazy cool and unique to have a corps director that interactive with dcp fans. Thanks Hop, for being that guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whitedawn said:

Which is why it would have been interesting to re-frame the Mass in some modern way.

Insightful takes from you, as always. 

When Mass premiered, it was highly anticipated from the guy who gave us West Side Story. Some critics slammed the work, not only for the blasphemous destruction of the chalice and remarking how easily things get broken, but also accusing Bernstein of grotesque narcissism in the composition of the entire work, which could be argued on both sides.  

I found that interesting.

4 hours ago, whitedawn said:

Nah, I think it's because to me the show doesn't feel "Mass-like." It feels like a religious show that misses the entire subversive point of Mass, which has very little to do with religion and more to do with anti-establishmentarianism, protesting wars, experimenting with the clash of musical genres (to ... widely varying degrees of success), and reflecting a mirror back at late 60s-early 70s America.

When we get to something that is even close to being on-point (Dona Nobis Pacem), we play it WAY too fast for it to land and I feel like it doesn't work. It should be utterly destructive and catastrophic. The Celebrant actually destroys the sacrament in the score. We play it because we need a swing section. Just my opinion.

Check out this Dona Nobis Pacem (should autoplay at 1:25):

They aren't doing "the mass "

they are using music from it to tell the story of "the faithful, the fallen, the forgiven" 

so the middle part is most like the play and the end just wraps up the show with "forgiven"

no one can tell the whole story and message for a 3 hour stage work in a 13 minute field show

if you try to you end up with the audience scratching their heads "huh" imo 

Thanks 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, whitedawn said:

The 2017 show is, "Hey, lets do the Mass, complete with choir robes and stained glass."

The music works -- of course it does -- Bernstein only had a few clunkers that wouldn't work.

In my opinion, programming the Mass around music from the Mass should look a little different. That's all.

Actually, the 2017 show is not "the Mass", and it was never supposed to be.  The 2017 show is:

"The Faithful, The Fallen, The Forgiven - Staged to the music of Leonard Bernstein's MASS"

True, this isn't the original theme of Bernstein's Mass.  But in my opinion, the music from Mass and the theme of Cadets show this year fit together perfectly.

• Like 4

Has anyone else seen the comments people are posting on the YouTube videos that are up of the Clifton show?

They are very negative and hurtful.  It seems most here on DCP like the show design, but I was honestly pretty shocked to see the venom on the YouTube comments.

Sad....

Some people love to hate the Cadets.  

2 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Has anyone else seen the comments people are posting on the YouTube videos that are up of the Clifton show?

They are very negative and hurtful.  It seems most here on DCP like the show design, but I was honestly pretty shocked to see the venom on the YouTube comments.

Sad....

Lol youtube is a cesspool. They make negative comments on cupcakes. I just ignore them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cadet93 said:

Sad....

All corps receive such comments to a greater or lesser extent in similar circumstances.  

Why further their reach by giving them attention here?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Sad....

A lot of sickos out there. 

5 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Sad....

Well I love to love Cadets so join my camp. All are welcomed! 

• Like 1

I once put a video on youtube about my favorite roller coaster in Six Flags Magic Mountain. Someone posted that they hoped the rollercoaster crashed like the one in the movie "Final Destination." I couldn't do anything but laugh my ### off. 

• Like 3