Cadets 2017

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

Good comments. I agree.  With some of the downfall in show design, or cheesing up a show, from the past 3 years we were bound to see Cadets take a little plunge. It feels weird, but it happened. End of story.  And as you said, nobody is guaranteed top 3.  Whether a person feels DCI is better off with Cadets in contention is a personal belief.  DCI does not feel that way.  Either you earn top 3 or not.  Bluecoats and Crown have done amazing things in recent years.  SCV is looking to finally grab a top 3 spot after something like 13 years. SCV is one of the all-time great organizations and it's been 13 years since they were top 3. That sums up how hard it is.  As we've seen from other corps, once you get knocked out of the box (top 3) it is tough to return.  I have no doubt Cadets will return, but it's not an easy task, especially with a very healthy and hungry (and talented) Boston Crusaders corps now in the mix on the east coast. 

I learned a long time ago to not make excuses for a corps (although I still do on occasion with my favs). If things go down hill, for whatever reason, then so be it. Deal with it. Identify the problem, move on, and fix it.  I think that is what Cadets are trying to do, but there is no simple solution. 

This!! On point as always Jwillis.  Until there is a different approach to program coordination I don't see much changing.  It will take a revamped design approach/perspective, and even then it is a slow upward climb back into the top 3 as you mention with SCV, and what Cavaliers have started to do the past 2 years.

Unless.....GH somehow wins the lottery and the next Michael Gaines appears.  I don't see much changing.  They will certainly struggle with recruiting top level talent with the current trajectory.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I get that you love Cadets, but to say DCI is better off when they are in contention to win makes no sense.  With Crown and Bloo both with recent titles and SCV making their move this year and of course BD still in the top 2 for more than a decade, there is no room for Cadets unless they start making positive changes.  To think Cadets could get 8th place this year is shocking for my brain to comprehend, but once I saw their show I got it.  George needs to stop with the gimmicks and just put out a great product.  I know they have lost some people, but he needs to get things back in order.  I fell in love with Garfield in 83 (I marched Sac in 83), and from that year on until a couple years ago Cadets always had this mystique about them.  That mystique is now gone and it makes me sad.  I hope they can turn things around soon.  It is not bad to get 8th place.  I know what it is like, but for Freelancers it was our highest placement yet.  It is a different situation totally for Cadets.

I don't necessarily "love" The Cadets, but I do respect their history and their historical dominance (I am an unabashed BD homer). You and I are on the same page, based on your post. 

I wrote what I did because when the Cadets (still "Garfield" in my mind) are in the mix, the activity is being preformed at its highest level. The Cadets have usurped many titles from my beloved Devils, and that makes for interesting drum corps.

Bloo and Crown have been awesome for the last few seasons, but they are newcomers. I would love to see SCV medal this year. Hell, I would love to see Phantom, Cavaliers, and Madison push for the title. I remember watching the Pavilion performance in 1990 by Vanguard thinking that they could possibly win. It was a good time.

i just want to see The Cadets return to their glory days. I miss their excellence.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

The Cadets are not going to challenge the top four, that is true. But, I am not sure fighting for fifth or sixth place makes them "mid-tier". It appears to me that they will pass BAC and stay in the top six. Cavaliers and Cadets should be neck and neck come Indianapolis. 

Based on what? There is no way they place top six. I base that assertion on the fact that they are SO far behind in execution. Like I wrote before, that pains me, but it is reality. The show is incredibly well designed, but the execution is problematic. 

Edited by jsd
Clarity

I'm confused.  Why did Dan Acheson hire judges who know so little instead of everyone here who has it figured out?  That seems like bad staffing on his part.  Perhaps it's time for a leadership change in the judging community. 

• Like 2

Well... looks like BAC took that humble pie Cadets' were preparing for me and shoved it down the garbage disposal.  

9wOWm.gif

• Like 4

Come on Cadets.. Execute, clean, execute,  clean...:grouphug:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

I'm confused.  Why did Dan Acheson hire judges who know so little instead of everyone here who has it figured out?  That seems like bad staffing on his part.  Perhaps it's time for a leadership change in the judging community. 

I'm hoping this is sarcasm. 

What is your end game here?

AoE

15 minutes ago, AoEnut said:

I'm hoping this is sarcasm. 

What is your end game here?

AoE

It was definitely sarcasm. He's mocking DCP's armchair judges (me included!)

• Like 1