Cadets 2017

15 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I am about as "very non-religious" as they come.  Absolutely not offended.

well me either - I guess a way to phrase it would be "very anti-religious" 

West Side Story could be a fantastic show. I know it's probably too obvious for most, but if done right...dayum. Talk about the ballad.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It is kind of interesting that technically we can't discuss the subject matter of the show with violating the posting guidelines.

I tried that twice this season, and I received a less than favorable response. Yet, I've seen little thought from Catholics about Jumpin' Jesus' role considering how the Church views the Eucharist in the Mass other than it's okay because a Jew wrote the original piece, so it's not necessarily about Christ. I suppose we'll just consider this show anathema. 

19 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

West Side Story could be a fantastic show. I know it's probably too obvious for most, but if done right...dayum. Talk about the ballad.

. . . . and also the use of an OUTSTANDING choral ensemble!   Hmmm.

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

It is kind of interesting that technically we can't discuss the subject matter of the show with violating the posting guidelines.

Same with all narration. Political views are embedded in most "preachy" ideological shows starting in 2004 (DCI) and earlier in BOA & WGI.

If the shows themselves are political (which they are), that shuts down any discussion.

20 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

No doubt WSS is one of the great musicals of all time, but Cadets did a wonderful job with it in 2009. I'd prefer to see Cadets look at "On The Waterfront" as others have mentioned. Maybe look at "Chichester Psalms."  "On The Town" would be playful and has many style changes and moods that would perfectly fit the drum corps model. Perhaps even a show that included a little "Slava" or "Candide" would be neat. 

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

No doubt WSS is one of the great musicals of all time, but Cadets did a wonderful job with it in 2009. I'd prefer to see Cadets look at "On The Waterfront" as others have mentioned. Maybe look at "Chichester Psalms."  "On The Town" would be playful and has many style changes and moods that would perfectly fit the drum corps model. Perhaps even a show that included a little "Slava" or "Candide" would be neat. 

Beat me to it...On the Town or even Trouble in Tahiti??