Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Wadep66 said:

After sitting on the board of two non profits where the CEO was fired I think that's very unlikely.

 

But,in either case,was the CEO the founder of the organization ?

I know,when they were  The Cadets of Bergen County,GH had a lot of influence over who sat on their board.

As far as I know,YEA's By-Laws aren't public.So there's no way to know just what power the board has.

 

 

 

Edited by rpbobcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wadep66 said:

YEA is run by a non-profit board.    George is the CEO.   George works for the board.   If you want to see a change in leadership then you need to get the board to see the need.   Complaining about him on here will do nothing.  

https://yea.org/home/about

All of their names are listed here on this page.   Get your pencil and paper and put your effort where you typing fingers are.

If the YEA board is so disconnected and disinterested that they don't even bother reading this board, why would anyone waste their time writing them? It's like 2000cadet said, it's not as if the frustration is unknown or limited to a few disgruntled alums. It's even among those who simply love the activity and have no direct connection with Cadets.

we all know people who used to care, and a few who used to contribute. At this point, it's sort of a broken record. 

There is a sports media guy here in Nashville who said something once about how tired people got about Vandy fans being angry about their state of affairs. He said, I'd rather have people angry and vocal than resigned and silent, because when people stop caring that's when you have big problems.

People are beginning to not care anymore. If things don't change, soon, there are going to be a fundamental, long lasting impact that will be very hard to reverse.

Edited by MikeRapp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rpbobcat said:

But,in either case,was the CEO's the founder of the organizations ?

I know,when they were  The Cadets of Bergen County,GH had a lot of influence over who sat on their board.

 

Founder or not, GH has effectively been CEO for 34 years. I guarantee that no board member has had a tenure anywhere close to that, and GH has likely been involved in the recruitment and onboarding of every current board member. It's hard in general to get an independent board with strong oversight in a non-profit, and harder still when there's such an established founder/exec. 

In my experience, usually you need an organizational failure or crisis to get a non-profit board to assert more control of the org.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

Founder or not, GH has effectively been CEO for 34 years. I guarantee that no board member has had a tenure anywhere close to that, and GH has likely been involved in the recruitment and onboarding of every current board member. It's hard in general to get an independent board with strong oversight in a non-profit, and harder still when there's such an established founder/exec. 

In my experience, usually you need an organizational failure or crisis to get a non-profit board to assert more control of the org.

I would guess at this point that nothing short of either a moral or a financial crisis would force a change. I have enough drama and unresolved frustrations in my life, I sure don't need this one. So long as the board is content, I will be content to focus elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

If the YEA board is so disconnected and disinterested that they don't even bother reading this board, why would anyone waste their time writing them? It's like 2000cadet said, it's not as if the frustration is unknown or limited to a few disgruntled alums. It's even among those who simply love the activity and have no direct connection with Cadets.

 

I'm very willing to bet the YEA board members are not scrolling through 984 pages of posts on this board to determine the content of DCP'ers with GH.  That's my point that something more direct is required.

My point here is that people are typically willing to complain on social media about things, but never take the next step.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wadep66 said:

 

I'm very willing to bet the YEA board members are not scrolling through 984 pages of posts on this board to determine the content of DCP'ers with GH.  That's my point that something more direct is required.

My point here is that people are typically willing to complain on social media about things, but never take the next step.  

That all fine, but really, if you are a board member of an activity this public and this specific, and you aren't very concerned about the direction of the organization, then I seriously doubt emails from someone they don't even know will even register a blip. 

I know for a fact that many Cadets alums and backers have voiced their concerns, and yet here we are with half naked Jesus dragging a cross through the football field in the name of GE. I'm over it. I feel badly for George Dixon and my other friends who try so hard to steer this ship on a reasonable discourse, but it shouldn't be this hard to discuss a drum corps without getting into dramatic bs.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Overall, I enjoyed Cadets' prelims performance Thursday.

However... isn't there always a "however"?...LOL... the "dancing Jesus" thing.... yikes.  Just wrong.

He's not dancing... he's supposed to be beating away the sin and (almost) losing. It may look like dancing however

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

That all fine, but really, if you are a board member of an activity this public and this specific, and you aren't very concerned about the direction of the organization, then I seriously doubt emails from someone they don't even know will even register a blip. 

I know for a fact that many Cadets alums and backers have voiced their concerns, and yet here we are with half naked Jesus dragging a cross through the football field in the name of GE. I'm over it. I feel badly for George Dixon and my other friends who try so hard to steer this ship on a reasonable discourse, but it shouldn't be this hard to discuss a drum corps without getting into dramatic bs.

Here are three things you might consider:

1. Board members do read these pages, but since anyone can post anything on social media, this is an ineffective medium for anything other than general conversation. 

2. If you really want to communicate effectively, perhaps a request an audience at a board meeting. 

3. Any suggestions you make will be most effective in the context of YEA, not just the Cadets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This question may sound really ignorant... but it's something I was thinking about. Could it be possible that maybe people are worrying maybe a little too much about this situation with hop? I know cavies these past few years had a bit of a dip in the usual placements/scorings , but they seem to be coming back up the totem pole, I see a medal even championship in their future. Is it not possible this is just the cadets version of a dip? This may be a really naive question, and it's not how I actually feel. Just was curious. No disrespect to worried alums. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

I would prefer Cadets stop utilizing the same music and the same composers and introduce new music. 

Exactly.  

I believe it is incredibly unfair to current members when music that has been done by the same corps is recycled, because it inevitably leads to unfair comparisons, and inevitably, the current design and corps simply do not measure up to a championship caliber show from a generation ago. 

It has been an increasingly disturbing and discouraging sign of a lack of creativity from the executive over the last 15 years. It's a sign of weakness and ineptitude, a sure sign that they would like to be parasitic on the past rather than innovate and create. 

Bernstein shmernstein!  Enough Bernstein already!  (Hear this in a Brooklyn accent, like Bubbie's)

But if you signed the #### contract to do the same #### composer so many times - three friggin years?!?! - you better find new material and a new and illuminating way to do it.  

No more recycling!  Ever. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.