SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

26 minutes ago, scvphan said:

Completely agree DrumManTx!! Time to give this thread a lot more love/attention! 

Any rumors on potential source material for them this coming summer? I know this has been mentioned already, but I am absolutely intrigued with the possibility of them pulling Clowns into a show. Would have to be incredibly well thought out given design/drum corps has changed so dramatically (multiple times over) since SCV last used it in 1976. Would I like to see new music? Of course! But no there's denying the pure, raw emotion, history, and importance of that piece to the corps. I feel like if they were ever to use it again now would be it and if designed well (and with some new source material) could be a really neat mix of new and old with Clowns putting us into pure bliss at the end.

This is probably wishful/old school thinking and not suited for today's drum corps but something about it feels so right.

Thoughts?!

If there is a year to use it, this is it.  

• Like 2

I see a bottle dance finale later in the season....

On 1/3/2017 at 1:41 PM, scvphan said:

Completely agree DrumManTx!! Time to give this thread a lot more love/attention! 

Any rumors on potential source material for them this coming summer? I know this has been mentioned already, but I am absolutely intrigued with the possibility of them pulling Clowns into a show. Would have to be incredibly well thought out given design/drum corps has changed so dramatically (multiple times over) since SCV last used it in 1976. Would I like to see new music? Of course! But no there's denying the pure, raw emotion, history, and importance of that piece to the corps. I feel like if they were ever to use it again now would be it and if designed well (and with some new source material) could be a really neat mix of new and old with Clowns putting us into pure bliss at the end.

This is probably wishful/old school thinking and not suited for today's drum corps but something about it feels so right.

Thoughts?!

Sure....Use as the closer.   Play it as we normally hear it... but after those three long chords before the last traditionally loud section, PLAY that part, but add a riving battery part similar to the Canon reprise in 03 Regiment (because my GOD did that work!)...on "well maybe next..." do NOT play it soft...give us a loud extended chord and a fast, driuving ending with small quotes from past shows...89, 87, something like that.

Don't give me quiet contemplation...RIP MY FACE OFF!

• Like 2

van·guard
ˈvanˌɡärd/
noun

1. a group of people leading the way in new developments or ideas.
    "the experimental spirit of the modernist vanguard"
    • a position at the forefront of new developments or ideas.
      "the prototype was in the vanguard of technical development"

I don't see SCV doing a rehash of shows from past years. 

1 hour ago, Contra94 said:
van·guard
ˈvanˌɡärd/
noun

1. a group of people leading the way in new developments or ideas.
    "the experimental spirit of the modernist vanguard"
    • a position at the forefront of new developments or ideas.
      "the prototype was in the vanguard of technical development"

I don't see SCV doing a rehash of shows from past years. 

" Fanfare and Allegro ".... 1972, 1973, 1984

" Overture to a New Era"....1977, 1978

" Third Symphony, 4th Movement".....1982, 1983

" Festive Overture ".... 1985, 1986

"  Russian Christmas Music ".... 1987, 2005

" Phantom of the Opera "...... 1988, 1989

The " Bottle Dance " Guard maneuver for SCV's closer was used at least a half dozen times during periods of the 70's, 80's, 90's. The  Santa Clara " Vanguard " has not changed their name since its inception.

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

" Fanfare and Allegro ".... 1972, 1973, 1984

" Overture to a New Era"....1977, 1978

" Third Symphony, 4th Movement".....1982, 1983

" Festive Overture ".... 1985, 1986

"  Russian Christmas Music ".... 1987, 2005

" Phantom of the Opera "...... 1988, 1989

The " Bottle Dance " Guard maneuver for SCV's closer was used at least a half dozen times during periods of the 70's, 80's, 90's

Don't forget "Scheherazade" in 2004 and 2014.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Don't forget "Scheherazade" in 2004 and 2014.

Yes... you beat me do it, as  I was just about to add these too as a " redo " for SCV as well.