SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

15 hours ago, PresentArms said:

I would think any 'rehashing' this year will probably be done by their alumni corps.

I would tend to agree. Almost without exception, those few Corps that have their Anniv. years that have on rare occasions decided to do a throwback show usually get clobbered by the DCI judges on the sheets, even if the audiences from coast to coast wet their pants in delight with the production. So its generally considered to be a placement killer to do such throwback type shows in modern day DCI now.

Edited by BRASSO

12 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

As an alum who plans on doing the alumni corps (which is all about retreads), I hope SCV's world class show in 2017 has ALL NEW MUSIC, preferably never done by anybody. 

I doubt that will happen. Would be interesting, but I don't think they'd do it.

10 hours ago, Lance said:

this corps is going to medal this season. i simply cannot imagine it NOT happening. 

Because of their competitive inertia (to borrow the term), or because it's the 50 year anniversary?  Or maybe a little of both?  I ask because their 25 year show didn't do so well competitively, although (I'm assuming) popular with the crowds. I liked the show, even though you would call it a "retread". 

55 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

Then you must have the same feeling about one the current top 3 to fall down. It's an interesting question: which if the current top 3 is most likely to fall out? 

I could see Crown or Bluecoats out.  Blue Devils are on a roll is really hard to see them out.

Edited by BoaDci

15 hours ago, Lance said:

this corps is going to medal this season. i simply cannot imagine it NOT happening. 

imo show design is winning championships.  so last year they did a four seasons show (which is probably the most rehashed show concept in marching band history (dark into light being a close second).  before that they did:

• spark (imagination show)
  • scheherazade (a shadow of 2004)
  • les mis  (over done)
  • starry (planets + phantom)
  • devils staircase.  ah.  at last legit vanguard concept at least. 

imo their performance quality is really high -- but their designs are falling far short of medal quality.  

Edited by corpsband

10 minutes ago, corpsband said:

imo show design is winning championships.  so last year they did a four seasons show (which is probably the most rehashed show concept in marching band history (dark into light being a close second).  before that they did:

• spark (imagination show)
  • scheherazade (a shadow of 2004)
  • les mis  (over done)
  • starry (planets + phantom)
  • devils staircase.  ah.  at last legit vanguard concept at least. 

imo their performance quality is really high -- but their designs are falling far short of medal quality.  

I do agree...but I have loved every one of their shows under this new team so much.  I think they did the 4 Seasons theme way better and less hit over your head than anyone I can remember...but it is still a 4 Seasons show.  

I think they can maintain what I love and still be boundary pushing.  Wonder if we will get a safer throwback show or them pushing the activity really hard like they did in years long ago.  Both honor their traditions in REALLY different ways. I still love the idea of building a show around Send in the Clowns paired with a lot of other new stuff.  

You have to have the talent pool to realize the potential of top 3 designs. I feel that SCV's design has been tailor made for their talent for the past 3 years, and talent+show design has been increasing each of the past few years.  Drum corps fans have seen this type of progression from corps many times, including SCV from 96-99....not to mention a certain corps that corpsband supports. ;)

Increasing success invites increasing talent which allows for more daring and challenging design.

I also don't think any of the top 3 from last year had shows that made me think SCV couldn't be competitive with them next year.

If I'm wrong about it, I'll live. 

It's just a feeling. 

• Like 2