SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

What was the third show they announced (then cancelled)? I want to say it was something like "Who?"

It was "Clue." Scrapped for the Ballet for Martha show.

1 minute ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Ah yes, I was marginally on track. Though I enjoyed the Copland show, I would've liked to have seen what they had in mind originally.

• Like 1

Clue would be a fun show, especially in today's drum corps designs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Something similar happened in 2014 when the "mad circus" show that was originally planned for that season was scrapped and replaced with Scheherazade 2.0.

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Something similar happened in 2014 when the "mad circus" show that was originally planned for that season was scrapped and replaced with Scheherazade 2.0.

Though I've heard peripherally about this I can't recall much in the way of details about that scrapped show. No repertoire was ever revealed, right?! Would be interesting to learn more about the concept and what led to it being replaced that year (perhaps licensing?). I wonder if there's any chance of the concept re-emerging.

44 minutes ago, scvphan said:

Though I've heard peripherally about this I can't recall much in the way of details about that scrapped show. No repertoire was ever revealed, right?! Would be interesting to learn more about the concept and what led to it being replaced that year (perhaps licensing?). I wonder if there's any chance of the concept re-emerging.

It was either Sal Salas or JD Shaw that mentioned in some interview that one of the staple pieces of that circus show fell through because of licensing, and since they had already batted the idea of a Scheherazade show around, they just went with it. 

At the SCV birthday dinner that year (so, 2014?), I remember DCP having a mini heart attack when a new version of Send in the Clowns was performed by SCV... that was allegedly the ballad, but it never made it to the field. I can't find that video, but it was a very interesting arrangement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buzz16 said:

It was either Sal Salas or JD Shaw that mentioned in some interview that one of the staple pieces of that circus show fell through because of licensing, and since they had already batted the idea of a Scheherazade show around, they just went with it. 

At the SCV birthday dinner that year (so, 2014?), I remember DCP having a mini heart attack when a new version of Send in the Clowns was performed by SCV... that was allegedly the ballad, but it never made it to the field. I can't find that video, but it was a very interesting arrangement. 

I've been wanting to find this video forever. I should have ripped it while it was still on YouTube, it was a gorgeous arrangement with a gorgeous new mellophone solo.

Edited by Hrothgar15

9 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

I've been wanting to find this video forever. I should have ripped it while it was still on YouTube, it was a gorgeous arrangement with a gorgeous new mellophone solo.

It was a great arrangement, and would have worked on the field, but I am a sucker for the classic arrangement of Send in the Clowns.

On 4/3/2017 at 9:14 PM, scvphan said:

(One of the pieces was High Wire by John Mackey, the arrangement was really cool and I still have recordings on my phone)

• Like 1