SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

25 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

And now we have a date.  At the very end of the Michael Gaines article, it says: "Make sure you tune in on May 12th when we announce the Santa Clara Vanguard’s 2017 program!"

We've had that date for a couple weeks now, if memory serves.

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

He ain't writing drill for outdoor at least.

I'll be honestly surprised to not see some hint of his influence in Weber's writing this summer.  I don't see how you bring him on board in design and have that not happen.  Regardless, we as a collective fandom of drum corps nerdiness are all better off with him back in the activity.

The off-season one-upmanship continues.... :)

15 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I'll be honestly surprised to not see some hint of his influence in Weber's writing this summer.  I don't see how you bring him on board in design and have that not happen.  Regardless, we as a collective fandom of drum corps nerdiness are all better off with him back in the activity.

The off-season one-upmanship continues.... :)

Perhaps guard staging.  IMO that is a large part of Gaines' genius -- the guard would always be in the right spot to generate effect.  And frequently you didn't notice how they got there -- it would just hit you.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

And now we have a date.  At the very end of the Michael Gaines article, it says: "Make sure you tune in on May 12th when we announce the Santa Clara Vanguard’s 2017 program!"

And here I was presuming they were just going to wish me "happy birthday."

Edited by xandandl

1 minute ago, corpsband said:

Perhaps guard staging.  IMO that's is a large part of Gaines' genius -- the guard would always be in the right spot to generate effect.  And frequently you didn't notice how they got there -- it would just hit you.  

Yeah... his visual integration, top to bottom, was almost always seamless.  This is a big pick up for SCV.  I hope they come out with something truly special for their 50th.