SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

At the end of last season, I told some friends that I thought Vanguard would medal this upcoming season as my bold prediction. This announcement might have made my prediction come true. I'm extremely excited for this corps 

• Like 3

I'm super excited about where this move takes them!

I'm so glad to hear that Michael Gaines has returned to DCI and Drum Corps. His Visual/ Guard work when he was producing shows for DCI Corps ( especially the Cavaliers ) was superior in every respect, imo. Congrats to SCV, as this is potentially a home run get for them, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

2017 Program: Victoria Falls

2018 Program: Five Corners

2019 Program: Farm Works

But I'm personally most excited for the 2021 show about Jason Bourne.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I'm so glad to hear that Michael Gaines has returned to DCI and Drum Corps. His Visual/ Guard work when he was producing shows for DCI Corps ( especially the Cavaliers ) was superior in every respect, imo. Congrats to SCV, as this is potentially a home run get for them, imo.

This great news for SCV and drum corps in general. This may be the final piece to push Vanguard into the medals!

• Like 5

What will be really interesting to watch is how much design influence he will have on SCV this summer. One subtle little nugget I noticed in the full length announcement was that he mentioned being asked to join Vanguard in 2016. One can only speculate when he accepted but with all the planning and momentum building the organization has been doing in anticipation for this, the 50th anniversary year of the corps, I wonder how much he has already been involved in the planning/designing for this summer's program.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2017 at 9:32 PM, corpsband said:

Perhaps guard staging.  IMO that is a large part of Gaines' genius -- the guard would always be in the right spot to generate effect.  And frequently you didn't notice how they got there -- it would just hit you.  

Agreed.