SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

Wow, this show is great. Modern, aggressive, yet subtle. Marcher-eating props. Swing! Even the kind of polyphonic overtones you hear in tuvan throat singing, in the pre-show. Not to mention the stellar percussion and, what?!, SCV has a brass line, holy schmokes!  

SCV on fire. Those Alumni though, wow, nostalgia on parade. 

What I guess you would call the ballad in this show is otherworldly......ethereal?  (I'm talking about the Bhatia section).  

I can't get enough of this, there are so many things to look for and listen to.......

Michael Gaines influence was obvious and he's probably the final push the AMAZING staff they already had needed to get in contention for a medal.  My only question is which one?

Also, props could have went SO wrong but they're written in MASTERFULLY.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

What I guess you would call the ballad in this show is otherworldly......ethereal?  (I'm talking about the Bhatia section).  

I can't get enough of this, there are so many things to look for and listen to.......

Michael Gaines influence was obvious and he's probably the final push the AMAZING staff they already had needed to get in contention for a medal.  My only question is which one?

+1

Just finished watching the DCI West performance and I concur.  The opener is just, wow.  Obviously this early they are getting the feel for some of the transitions and I'm sure the lengths of some segments will be adjusted for flow (a couple spots were unsurprisingly a bit abrupt) but this show looks to have a fabulous foundation to build on AND perform the hell out of.  Horn book appears to be their toughest in years and if they get their hands around it, watch out.

It's so great to see Vanguard back in the medal discussion.  I'd say they have a real chance at Bronze this year.  Not quite ready to say higher than that, but the progress of getting 3rd alone would be very, very encouraging.

On 6/24/2017 at 10:00 PM, TRacer said:

My son is in this video, front arc of trumpets near the 45. And, he's probably on the rehearsal field too as I type this.

My thanks also to the poster who linked the Clowns vet video...it was one of the selections they played at the Rose Parade and audition camps. My kid called me later and said, "Now I know why you cry whenever you hear it." Good boy...

Best of luck to your son and SCV! Loved them ever since first seeing them while standing on the ready line with my corps in 1969.

8 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

The first time I saw them roll the props onto the field, I immediately thought of '14 Crown. Then the show started and I breathed a sigh of relief.