SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

A common complaint I hear about SCV's music books is that they sound more like percussion with brass accompaniment. I've always dismissed that notion as bogus because while their percussion line was very good, the musicality of their horn books always shined for me. 

Listening to this show, however, I'm unfortunately seeing the merits of that claim. I think the difference this year is that the hornline's book (and the source music in general) is a lot more aggressive and because of that, so is the percussion, lending to the percussion being emphasized more than usual for me. 

At the current moment I'm not a fan, which sucks because I love SCV and want to like this show. But we'll see, maybe this is one of those shows that will take a while for me to grow on to

• Like 5

3 hours ago, PresentArms said:

The drill is obviously a Weber/Gaines collaboration. I see both of their styles blended here.

Has Gaines been involved with the corps long enough yet to have much influence drillwise? His position was announced pretty recently, but maybe he's been longer than the announcement suggests.

30 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Has Gaines been involved with the corps long enough yet to have much influence drillwise? His position was announced pretty recently, but maybe he's been longer than the announcement suggests.

His genius is all over that drill 

• Like 2

I can't wait to see this show live.  I loved what they were doing with those props, and that was just from the grainy periscope recording. I'm also waiting to see the uniforms in person before passing judgment. The uniforms always look different from the stands than when they are viewed up close.

SCV is amazingly solid, the show just doesnt make me feel anything.  Of course, that could change with several viewings.

Definitely a early 2000s Cavies feel in many ways.

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cadet93 said:

SCV is amazingly solid, the show just doesnt make me feel anything.  Of course, that could change with several viewings.

Definitely a early 2000s Cavies feel in many ways.

A lot of the visual elements combined with some of the mallet runs remind me of Niagara Falls

14 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Ok, am I the only one who hates SCV's props?

One of the few I would guess.

They're some of the better utilized/staged/designed ones I've seen as of late with tons of usages, ways they're interacted with, and aesthetically matching the show.  

I've seen lots that I hate over the years but these are some of my personal favorites.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1