SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

On 6/26/2017 at 5:58 PM, kdaddy said:

Has Gaines been involved with the corps long enough yet to have much influence drillwise? His position was announced pretty recently, but maybe he's been longer than the announcement suggests.

Weber would have marched under Gaines at Cavies, correct?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spandy said:

Weber would have marched under Gaines at Cavies, correct?

Weber was DM in 98, and I believe that was the first of Gaines's (consecutive) run at writing drill. I believe Gaines was involved prior in other capacities, including guard and helping with drill.

• Like 3

I really really hope this show scores well in the end. #MakeDrillCoolAgain  This show is modern yet incorporates many traditional elements with the drill and colorguard. Sheer power that I think is missing in many drum corps shows today.

My only critique deals with the props. I think they are wonderful and are utilized in unique ways throughout the show. However, when the colorguard/brass members move them around or lift them up and down, they have some of the same issues the 2015 Cadets had. It will be a struggle to get all the props raised and lowered in unison. Just an observation; hoping they can figure it out

Edited by Brass34
  • Like 3

I haven't been to a live event so far this year, but having seen videos of all the contenders SCV is my hands down favorite.  The ballad is simply incredible and rivals Bluecoats Hymn of Axiom.  I've never heard their horn-line this strong so early in the season.  The drum-line is putting on a clinic.  The guard looks like they will be in the running for the Zingali best color guard award.

Question: How are they producing that amazingly fast staccato from the brass shortly after the ballad?  I absolutely love it!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, bluesman said:

Question: How are they producing that amazingly fast staccato from the brass shortly after the ballad?  I absolutely love it!

A small ensemble is mic'ed throughout the show (their channels are not necessarily playing all the time, however) and I believe at that point they are playing counter to the rest of the hornline.  I believe they are also playing ("through the amps") the runs in the beginning of the opener and at several other points.

Not in any way taking away from the overall hornline capability - they are playing with high level of focus.

GO SCV!

• Like 1

Go SCV!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 6:58 AM, gak27 said:

A small ensemble is mic'ed throughout the show (their channels are not necessarily playing all the time, however) and I believe at that point they are playing counter to the rest of the hornline.  I believe they are also playing ("through the amps") the runs in the beginning of the opener and at several other points.

Not in any way taking away from the overall hornline capability - they are playing with high level of focus.

GO SCV!

Read my review of the Oceanside show. SCV does this perfectly, and it's blended!

They're using Wifi to connect to each instrument in the small ensemble it seems, which I think helps with making sure the sounds come in with correct timing, and are balanced correctly with the ensemble.

1 minute ago, corps8294 said:

How many Cavie folks are on the visual staff? SCV sure has a Cavalier marching style, now. 

...bunch of visual staff and designers