SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

Vanguard, I implore you ... WE implore you ... we being all of us trying to enjoy your show on FloMarching: your decision to place speakers squarely on the 35s is RUNNING the enjoyment of your performance for thousands online.

The standard for the broadcast setup is mics on the 50 and the 35s. PLEASE MOVE your 35 yd line speakers -- just 3-4 yards in or out to the 31-32 or the 38-39 will do WONDERS for broadcast balance.

Please pass this msg/request along to those who make the decisions there. Thank you.

Edited by hughesmr
  • Like 1

Okay, they stopped the stream before scores were announced.

WTH?

They are inching closer and closer to catching BD.  Many people keep saying that BD has "so much" to add to their show but I would think everyone does.  If these are substantial changes, I would imagine that this would hurt BD more than help since they are essentially learning on the fly and would therefore be more difficult to clean.  Based on what I saw at Stanford, their music is great but their visual (drill at least) is just lacking.

And that's TWICE now that SCV's brass beat out BD's brass.  They sounded just as amazing as BD sounded, when live--though honestly, it's hard to discern the two since they are both apparently top tier. 

GO SCV!!!

• Like 8

Don't know if this declaration has been made here on this forum. This is pure reckless and an optimistic speculation. SCV will end the show at finals with their Aussie's. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Don't know if this declaration has been made here on this forum. This is pure reckless and an optimistic speculation. SCV will end the show at finals with their Aussie's. 

and perform the Bottle Dance while playing Music of the Night.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Somewhere I made a similar post haha, they pull them out from underneath the disks for the closer

• Like 1

Can't wait to see you live, Vanguard!!!!!!!!

On 7/1/2017 at 9:59 PM, corps8294 said:

How many Cavie folks are on the visual staff? SCV sure has a Cavalier marching style, now. 

The visual staff has remained virtually unchanged since 2010. There's actually fewer former Cavaliers on visual staff now than there used to be. The marching technique has also not changed since 2010 and that was only slightly different from 2008/2009.  

Edited by onandsplitting
  • Like 7

So I found a video on YouTube where someone recorded the webcasts.  While I absolutely love this show--I have to say I did not necessarily enjoy it on streaming/ YT.

I don't know if the uploader messed with the audio but based on what I know from this show, the amped/mic'd horn ensemble(?correct designation?) gave a weird "feeling" to the show.  It almost felt like I was hearing that mic'd ensemble as if I was underwater.

It's really bizarre because when I saw it live, everything, including the mic'd ensemble, blended EXTREMELY well together--it was fantastic.  And also, other videos where people filmed the show from the stands didn't have any of that "underwater" sound that I saw in that recorded webcast.

I'm not an audio/video person so I am having trouble wrapping my head around it.  Can someone please explain?  Honestly, if what I heard/saw was actually on the webcast, then it honestly sounded--not terrible but just bizarre--especially when my first viewing of the show was in person.

Edited by NeutralNovice

20 hours ago, NeutralNovice said:

So I found a video on YouTube where someone recorded the webcasts.  While I absolutely love this show--I have to say I did not necessarily enjoy it on streaming/ YT.

I don't know if the uploader messed with the audio but based on what I know from this show, the amped/mic'd horn ensemble(?correct designation?) gave a weird "feeling" to the show.  It almost felt like I was hearing that mic'd ensemble as if I was underwater.

It's really bizarre because when I saw it live, everything, including the mic'd ensemble, blended EXTREMELY well together--it was fantastic.  And also, other videos where people filmed the show from the stands didn't have any of that "underwater" sound that I saw in that recorded webcast.

I'm not an audio/video person so I am having trouble wrapping my head around it.  Can someone please explain?  Honestly, if what I heard/saw was actually on the webcast, then it honestly sounded--not terrible but just bizarre--especially when my first viewing of the show was in person.

I think I read on another thread that their speaker tower placement is very close to the webcast mics, which could result in the effect you hear.  I agree about the audio quality of the "other sources" videos...