SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

Can't wait to see them in Allentown (DCI East)!  

Can confirm, SCV was totally on fire at Minneapolis. So glad I got to see that live.

What are the odds the cymbals will add the Viper at the end of the show? They're staged perfectly for it, and obviously it would fit the theme

• Like 7

If you're a DCPer who is reading this and enjoys SCV's show this year, give yourself a pat on the back. For the past few weeks, I keep seeing Facebook comment after Reddit comment after YouTube comment and beyond #####ing about the uniforms: "Bring back the Aussies!" "I hate spandex!" "Tradition is dead!" etc. And mind you, these aren't just people who marched way BITD; there are recent DCI alumni and even high school- and college-aged "bandos" saying the same things. It's almost as if people have forgotten there's a fantastic show behind the uniforms.

DCP, THANK YOU for not falling into this bottomless pit and instead considering the show first and foremost. I love reading all the comments saying how awesome the show is, how it's their favorite SCV show since 2004 or even 1999. And I share your sentiments. They are truly doing stuff that I've never seen before on the field, from the 12 brass players that are blended beautifully with the ensemble to those incredible multifaceted ouroboros props. And of course, every section of the corps is performing fantastically, not to mention the amazing Weber-Gaines drill. As much as I loved last year's more traditional show (and I'm still bummed I never got to see it live), they've pulled out all the stops this year and are more than prepared to receive a medal of any color. I'm so glad to be part of a community that knows better than to judge a show based on the uniform alone.

• Like 7

Thought I had the other night:

what are the chances that in a decade or so, we're going to look back at this period and see this show as the "Fog City Sketches" to 2016's "La Mer" (with, hopefully, a similar build to the end of the decade and not nearly the same drop-off afterward)?

Last year's show, in terms of the pristine-ness of it, reminds me a fair amount of that '96 show, in retrospect. And this one has a bit more of the in-your-face that '97 had.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

Question - watching one of the first show vids, the mellos were playing the high note in the chord in "Wait for the World" (around 1:41 - I also seem to remember discussion on here about how cool it would be if the mellos played that note) and now it seems to have been dropped.  Anyone know anything about it?

4 hours ago, gak27 said:

Question - watching one of the first show vids, the mellos were playing the high note in the chord in "Wait for the World" (around 1:41 - I also seem to remember discussion on here about how cool it would be if the mellos played that note) and now it seems to have been dropped.  Anyone know anything about it?

Sounds like a combination of it being hard for them to tune that chord and them maybe wanting to leave it unresolved at that point in the piece.

On 7/11/2017 at 4:40 PM, brassdude6171 said:

Came across this vid on youtube today and was about to share it...you beat me by a few days! Wow what a sound this year and some really challenging music they're playing this summer. One of the strongest SCV brass lines in a very long time (99/04?). Ott level? From this snippet I'd have to say they need to be in the conversation.