SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

On 7/11/2017 at 9:17 AM, Cadevilina Crown said:

If you're a DCPer who is reading this and enjoys SCV's show this year, give yourself a pat on the back. For the past few weeks, I keep seeing Facebook comment after Reddit comment after YouTube comment and beyond #####ing about the uniforms: "Bring back the Aussies!" "I hate spandex!" "Tradition is dead!" etc. And mind you, these aren't just people who marched way BITD; there are recent DCI alumni and even high school- and college-aged "bandos" saying the same things. It's almost as if people have forgotten there's a fantastic show behind the uniforms.

DCP, THANK YOU for not falling into this bottomless pit and instead considering the show first and foremost. I love reading all the comments saying how awesome the show is, how it's their favorite SCV show since 2004 or even 1999. And I share your sentiments. They are truly doing stuff that I've never seen before on the field, from the 12 brass players that are blended beautifully with the ensemble to those incredible multifaceted ouroboros props. And of course, every section of the corps is performing fantastically, not to mention the amazing Weber-Gaines drill. As much as I loved last year's more traditional show (and I'm still bummed I never got to see it live), they've pulled out all the stops this year and are more than prepared to receive a medal of any color. I'm so glad to be part of a community that knows better than to judge a show based on the uniform alone.

Do you not think those people's feelings about the uniforms are genuine?

I like the show a lot; I would not be disappointed if they took gold, and I personally don't have a problem with the uniforms, but I will say that the initial explanation for the uniforms we hear from Andy Toth in the new DCI Fieldpass podcast interviews is somewhat dubious:

"We knew that with the 50th anniversary we didn't want to spend too much time looking back; we wanted to constantly be thinking about moving forward, and the costuming is one of those things that we need to consider. There's not too much military marching band / drum corps going on anymore. A lot of it is choreographed, a lot of it is very show specific. There are points of reference to tradition of Vanguard. They're still wearing their star; they still have the same color palette: there's been years in the past where Vanguard has worn black on the bottom and white on the top, so that is familiar. And we wanted to be as progressive as we can and keep moving forward and everyone on the administrative team was very much on board [including] the board of directors. And it's a risk; it's always a risk to try something new, but it's definitely worth it."

Boil that down, particularly noting the parts I have put in boldface, and it amounts to "everyone else is doing it, so we did too". Which isn't all that progressive. Just sayin'.

Now, a minute later, when they talk specifically about the lack of Aussies, there are better reasons given, about "breaking the fourth wall" and the sheer logistics of hats getting in the way of the movement they're doing. Stick with those arguments and forget about the references to what the cool kids are doing.

(It's a bit odd that a podcast that is described on DCI's website as including controversy doesn't mention SCV's heavy use of amplified brass, which has certainly bothered a number of people on these forums.)

• Like 2

On 7/11/2017 at 2:40 PM, brassdude6171 said:

How about this response by the composer of "Wait of the World" Stephen Melillo in the video's YouTube comments:

I hope this will be comment 33! Dear SCV! There is much, perhaps too much to share about the piece itself, the response of 10,000 people in a Bull Fight Ring many years ago!, the Marine Band of the Royal Netherlands Navy and much more...but WOW to the brass players from SCV! WOW! Blown away! I think even the Marine Band of the Royal Netherlands Navy would be "wowed!" by your incredibleplaying! "WOW" was the acronym I used when composing "Wait of the World" 20 years ago. And that's the only word for you guys... "Wow!" Thank you and Godspeed! Steve
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I like the show a lot; I would not be disappointed if they took gold, and I personally don't have a problem with the uniforms, but I will say that the initial explanation for the uniforms we hear from Andy Toth in the new DCI Fieldpass podcast interviews is somewhat dubious:

"We knew that with the 50th anniversary we didn't want to spend too much time looking back; we wanted to constantly be thinking about moving forward, and the costuming is one of those things that we need to consider. There's not too much military marching band / drum corps going on anymore. A lot of it is choreographed, a lot of it is very show specific. There are points of reference to tradition of Vanguard. They're still wearing their star; they still have the same color palette: there's been years in the past where Vanguard has worn black on the bottom and white on the top, so that is familiar. And we wanted to be as progressive as we can and keep moving forward and everyone on the administrative team was very much on board [including] the board of directors. And it's a risk; it's always a risk to try something new, but it's definitely worth it."

Boil that down, particularly noting the parts I have put in boldface, and it amounts to "everyone else is doing it, so we did too". Which isn't all that progressive. Just sayin'.

Now, a minute later, when they talk specifically about the lack of Aussies, there are better reasons given, about "breaking the fourth wall" and the sheer logistics of hats getting in the way of the movement they're doing. Stick with those arguments and forget about the references to what the cool kids are doing.

(It's a bit odd that a podcast that is described on DCI's website as including controversy doesn't mention SCV's heavy use of amplified brass, which has certainly bothered a number of people on these forums.)

This is pretty much how I feel about the uniforms. 

I like that they give more freedom for movement, and besides an entire other post I could write about SCV and headgear, the lack of it also gives them more freedom. 

However, a lot of those at SCV I know keep going on about how much the uniforms are innovative and pushing the activity. I thought Bluecoats and even Oregon Crusaders were the first to that boat last year, and this year a majority of corps have gone that direction of uniforms.

This years SCV uniform doesn't rock the boat, it's more amongst the crowd for me. I wish they had gone more out there in terms of its design if they had really wanted to push things. The uniforms are more of a miss for me, because the higher up you get (like in the box where it matters), I feel like the uniforms don't add any more to the effect of the show than any other world class uniform would have. Lots of up close detail work that relates, but it doesn't read from higher up to me.

I do think the show as a whole pushes things in a new direction though, there's some really awesome unique things happening in it.

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I agree with much you say.

For me the comments of Andy (who marched Cadets and Cavaliers in the early 90,s) merely translates to "Now that SCV;s staff has become Illinois West (PR & Cavaliers) llttle of their past matters to us. History begins anew now that we are here." Harsh, yes,  but true too.

On 7/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, Spandy said:

Can confirm, SCV was totally on fire at Minneapolis. So glad I got to see that live.

What are the odds the cymbals will add the Viper at the end of the show? They're staged perfectly for it, and obviously it would fit the theme

Considering BAC's show, we need to ban the use of the term "totally on fire" this year.

• Like 1

This show keeps getting better. It looks like places 1-4 are wide open. This show has legs. What a gap between SCV and the blue stars.  I know we are talking medal placement to 9th but still.

4 straight years SCV has been a top 3 show for me (not referring to scores). Can't decide if it's 1 or 2 for me this year. I was in love with 2015 SCV and this show is doing the same for me this year.

I have tickets for semifinals in the nosebleeds and I am gauging how much I love the top shows to decide whether or not a trip to Massillon in August is worthwhile. The more I see of SCV (and bluecoats) the more I think yes.

On 7/11/2017 at 9:17 AM, Cadevilina Crown said:

For the past few weeks, I keep seeing Facebook comment after Reddit comment after YouTube comment and beyond #####ing about the uniforms: "Bring back the Aussies!" "I hate spandex!" "Tradition is dead!" etc. 

It doesn't matter much to me what they wear, but I don't know why this show lends itself to no headgear. Seems like a very traditional show to me, and seems like the Aussie would've been just fine.

That is, if you're a corps with such an iconic look steeped in tradition, make the change with a show that naturally requires it. (Though I'm not sure what such a show would look like)

This show is going to medal.. people need to just sit back and enjoy the evolution of this great activity. From uniforms to amplification, drum corps is evolving. When art is allowed to grow, develop, and evolve, the consumer is always the beneficiary.

5 hours ago, Hirsbrunner said:

This is pretty much how I feel about the uniforms. 

I like that they give more freedom for movement, and besides an entire other post I could write about SCV and headgear, the lack of it also gives them more freedom. 

However, a lot of those at SCV I know keep going on about how much the uniforms are innovative and pushing the activity. I thought Bluecoats and even Oregon Crusaders were the first to that boat last year, and this year a majority of corps have gone that direction of uniforms.

This years SCV uniform doesn't rock the boat, it's more amongst the crowd for me. I wish they had gone more out there in terms of its design if they had really wanted to push things. The uniforms are more of a miss for me, because the higher up you get (like in the box where it matters), I feel like the uniforms don't add any more to the effect of the show than any other world class uniform would have. Lots of up close detail work that relates, but it doesn't read from higher up to me.

I do think the show as a whole pushes things in a new direction though, there's some really awesome unique things happening in it.

2 hours ago, Alzam81 said:

This show is going to medal.. people need to just sit back and enjoy the evolution of this great activity. From uniforms to amplification, drum corps is evolving. When art is allowed to grow, develop, and evolve, the consumer is always the beneficiary.

I agree. That's why I feel like SCV should have gone for a bigger risk with their uniforms rather than follow what others have done, but that's just my opinion. The show is my favorite this season, and I hope it takes it all.

• Like 1

Makes sense that the Aussie wouldn't work for the majority of the show, however. I'm holding on to the hope that they put them on for the finale of their show. No body movement that would be impeded by the use of the Aussie's. Ouroboros is a circular symbol, so to me, it would be fitting that with the shedding of the old, it circles back with the use of the Aussie at the end. Who knows.

• Like 1