SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

Just got done seeing this show live for the first time this year - and love it!!  They definitely have an opportunity to go a long way, and I look forward to seeing the outcome.

Question - why oh why did they not use something (anything) from the piece Sensamaya??  Seems like a no brainer!!

Anyway, good luck to them - keep up the good work!!

• Like 1

So they're in first now... as if to anyone's surprise... but how about Vanguard Cadets? They are in first too! Could we have a double-whammy?

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

I will be heading to SCV's rehearsal in a few hours and I'm super excited! This is my first time sitting through a corps rehearsal other than Crown's and I can't wait to see their process!

10 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I will be heading to SCV's rehearsal in a few hours and I'm super excited! This is my first time sitting through a corps rehearsal other than Crown's and I can't wait to see their process!

My family and I took a road trip from Chicago to beautiful Oregon, IL, to watch SCV rehearse on the day of the DeKalb show.  The corps members struck me as mature and highly disciplined but also relaxed, with what appeared to be a lot of camaraderie and playfulness when at ease. Watching the interaction between the instructional staff and corps was, well, instructive, and I got a much better appreciation of this Swiss watch of a show. It really helps to see such this complex and fast-moving presentation broken down into component bits and pieces. It was like watching a slo-mo of a fast soccer game.

My favorite part was hearing one of the instructors telling the corps that their performance in the last show was great, but felt too safe. He urged them to push emotional boundaries, to give more to the audience. It is a confident corps that can be told to take some chances!

When I watched their performance in DeKalb that night, I felt a deeper appreciation for the show. This was from seeing some of the mechanical underpinnings, but also from witnessing some of the human interactions that go on behind the scenes. A real thrill for this alum!

I will post some pics if the day allows.....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, quietcity said:

My family and I took a road trip from Chicago to beautiful Oregon, IL, to watch SCV rehearse on the day of the DeKalb show.  The corps members struck me as mature and highly disciplined but also relaxed, with what appeared to be a lot of camaraderie and playfulness when at ease. Watching the interaction between the instructional staff and corps was, well, instructive, and I got a much better appreciation of this Swiss watch of a show. It really helps to see such this complex and fast-moving presentation broken down into component bits and pieces. It was like watching a slo-mo of a fast soccer game.

My favorite part was hearing one of the instructors telling the corps that their performance in the last show was great, but felt too safe. He urged them to push emotional boundaries, to give more to the audience. It is a confident corps that can be told to take some chances!

When I watched their performance in DeKalb that night, I felt a deeper appreciation for the show. This was from seeing some of the mechanical underpinnings, but also from witnessing some of the human interactions that go on behind the scenes. A real thrill for this alum!

I will post some pics if the day allows.....

This is what I saw today as well. They were definitely laid back. But still very productive. When instructors called individuals out, they did so in such a playful way that no one felt like they were being called out. I saw lots of high fives and "hang loose" signs being exchanged amongst the MMs. I dig it. Maybe this method doesn't work for every corps, but it fits SCV like a glove. If I were an MM, that's the type of environment I'd want to be a part of! 

OAN, that show is F-I-R-E. They're really bringing it this year! Love the music, love the visuals, love the percussion, love the guard! SCV, you have my full attention!

• Like 4

Great job tonight SCV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Why is this thread so quiet tonight?

Only half a point separates them and BD now. Can't remember the last time they were so close to each other this late in the season. They are very capable of making the push for gold, they just need to make that push and/or pull away at the right time.

Can't wait to find out how they do this Friday!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Why is this thread so quiet tonight?

Only half a point separates them and BD now. Can't remember the last time they were so close to each other this late in the season. They are very capable of making the push for gold, they just need to make that push and/or pull away at the right time.

Can't wait to find out how they do this Friday!

It is a bit perplexing at times the quietness of this thread relative to others - it always seems to be that way though on SCV threads. Keeping it classy and chill...vanguard style! I for one am thrilled with the result tonight. Keep pushing Santa Clara!

Edited by scvphan
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, scvphan said:

It is a bit perplexing at times the quietness of this thread relative to others - it always seems to be that way though on SCV threads. Keeping it classy and chill...vanguard style! I for one am thrilled with the result tonight. Keep pushing Santa Clara!

Classy and chill...... that says it ALL! 

• Like 1