SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

Saw them tonight from about the forty on side one, twenty rows up. I loved the show but the way the featured horn players are amped is so distracting. You can hear their sound coming from about the thirty where the speaker is even when there are no brass players on that side of the field. 

• Like 1

I'm all-in on the Vanguard train at this point.  I predicted 3rd-ish at the start of the season but whatever, take it to the top!

• Like 2

First things "1st" - Happy Anniversary Vanguard! 

Second:  Loving the show and how clean you are visually already.

Third:  Suggestions and complaints -

S] Please go back and listen to 2009's "Ballet for Martha". The way you used your amplification was sublime, artistic and balanced.  I believe that by not being so heavy handed your show will continue to lead toward a championship.

C] Staging for the amped brass parts hurts ensemble timing and draws the eye to a place on the field where the performers are Not.

V] I have to beat the dead horse.   Uniforms are fine enough but please bring back the Aussies! You've lost that SCV mystique. The exposure of the performers face may be what the activity or judges are looking for,  but the cloaking effect of the Aussie is entirely what makes you... YOU! Who cares what the cool kids are doing. The chin down shade of assassin badassery IS hallmark Vanguard. 

This activity has sincerely lost its individuality over the years. There are so many similarities between show designs, body movement requirements, marching technique,  unwarranted double triple flipple tonguery, Etc... It's all the same.

Why throw away this completely awesome and identifiable tradition?   FEATHERS UP?  oh wait...... no feathers 

Edited by supersop
  • Like 1

The "hang loose" sign is called a "Shaka" in Hawaiian; we use it all the time as a sign of general thanks and courtesy. 

As for hats-- as a former Red Team Aussie wearer I can see both sides, and yes I'd like to see them try it once to gauge the audience and judging reaction. My son's mom sent me a short clip of SCVC's show and they combine the Bluecoats' "costuform" look with the Aussies pretty well. I'd post a photo if I could.

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 1

I'm just realizing now that "Ouroboros" contains the word "oro," which is the Spanish word for gold, and at the same time it's SCV's 50th anniversary, for which the official gemstone is gold (hence "golden anniversary").

MIND = BLOWN.

• Like 5

Great showing at Denton, SCV! 

• Like 2

On 7/19/2017 at 2:50 PM, TRacer said:

As for hats-- as a former Red Team Aussie wearer I can see both sides, and yes I'd like to see them try it once to gauge the audience and judging reaction. My son's mom sent me a short clip of SCVC's show and they combine the Bluecoats' "costuform" look with the Aussies pretty well. I'd post a photo if I could.

I keep watching this show looking for the place where they are going to put them on/take them off ala back in the day when they changed the color of their pants or changed the stripe on their tunics.....What a magical moment that would be!!! Off then on....then off....ouroboros...changing yet remaining the same. All hype....Feathers up!

• Like 1