SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

13 hours ago, PeterGibbons said:

I was there as well. Although SCV is my favorite corps I was traveling with some Cadets staff that evening so I was kinda forced to be part of the Cadet party. When I found out the difference was a perfect percussion score, as a drummer I found this unbelievable. IIRC, the Cadets too were surprised they won.

It was tough. I loved Garfield's show that year so much. I first saw Vanguard in 1984 and it was love at first sight. So, I watched Garfield win in '84 and '85, and Devils in '86. I wanted SCV to win so bad in '87. It was really tough. Yes, I think that drum score for Garfield and the spread between Garfield and SCV in drums was hogwash, but I can't say the wrong corps won that night. They were just both so good and I loved them both that year. I just loved SCV a bit more. This 2017 show is giving '87 a run for it's money though in terms of my favorite show of all time.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

'87 was a tough call... always been a fan of both corps; I loved both of those shows. Am loving SCV this year... not so much Cadets this year... usually only vocals I enjoy in a Drum Corp show are cheers from the crowd. :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing::thumbs-up::laughing::1_grinning:

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 0:38 PM, quietcity said:

As much as I would love to see it, wearing aussies for the last shows of the year is a terrible idea. Doing so would affect the marching members' carriage, head placement and vision, and they would not have time to adjust to the changes. This would lead to deleterious impact on intervals and lines of sight.

Maybe FloMarching can add a virtual reality feature that digitally adds aussies. How about it, Flo?

And they've clearly been working on individual performance levels and projecting to the audience with their facial expressions (check early season vs more recent videos, it's a night and day difference). Much of that work would be lost if they added headgear now.

On 8/1/2017 at 2:08 PM, henry7184 said:

I think they will do that. The age out feather afterall. 

I could see them doing this. Though the pit and guard have managed without hats for decades and still get their feathers.

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me the instrumentation breakdown for "the 12" grey-uniformed featured brass?

x trumpets, x mellos, etc.?

12 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

Can anyone tell me the instrumentation breakdown for "the 12" grey-uniformed featured brass?

x trumpets, x mellos, etc.?

Fun fact I think most people miss: I know there is a piccolo trumpet in that group.

Not sure about the rest of the instrumentation. I would guess 4 mellos, 4 baris, 3 trumpets, 1 piccolo.

5 minutes ago, Hirsbrunner said:

Fun fact I think most people miss: I know there is a piccolo trumpet in that group.

Not sure about the rest of the instrumentation. I would guess 4 mellos, 4 baris, 3 trumpets, 1 piccolo.

I remember Shaw talked about the instrumentation in this video, but I'm at work right now and can't turn up the volume

• Like 1

I feel quite a buzz of energy from SCV as an organization this finals week. The corps is nipping at BDs heels, SCVC is finishing out strong, and the Alumni corps members are currently traveling to Indy for there semis performance. I don't think I've felt this presence, drive, and purpose from Vanguard in my brief time in the activity.

Regardless of final placement, this is great year for the corps.

Edited by Hirsbrunner
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Hirsbrunner said:

I feel quite a buzz of energy from SCV as an organization this finals week. The corps is nipping at BDs heels, SCVC is finishing out strong, and the Alumni corps members are currently traveling to Indy for there semis performance. I don't think I've felt this presence, drive, and purpose from Vanguard in my brief time in the activity.

Regardless of final placement, this is great year for the corps.

I was about to type something about them earning their first medal in over a decade but I know it's so much more than that, hope they have an amazing week.  50th is a BIG anniversary.   

• Like 2

Good luck tonight Santa Clara! This show has always had Gold written all over it! Get it SCV! :17_heart_eyes: 

• Like 5