The Cavaliers 2017

13 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I see your point, but this was a less is more show that totally worked for me. I guess it worked ok for the judges for one year too.

Many of today's design choices are too ADD and too thick and I feel it ruins the show.  SCV wasn't that way last year. It was just pure class.

They tried a pretty bold concept the year before, so this was a different direction for them.  Now, who know what's in store for this coming year and their anniversary?

Something old, something new, something borrowed.....   ??????

Don't get me wrong -- the performers did a great job and the show was pleasant enough.  I guess it just bothers me when someone does a show that literally every HS band in the country has done at least twice.  I think the "class" comments just come from a  past love affair with SCV and not from the product on the field.   The Spark show -- other than the props -- was again just a pure imagination show and IMO not really bold at all.  As I said earlier -- last time they seemed like "Vanguard" to me was Devil's Staircase.  As for their placements,  is it really them moving up or just the guys around them kind of "missing" recently?  

I don't need ADD designs or profound concepts; simple is fine,  But if you're gonna be in the top 6, is it too much to ask for originality?    IMO the next 3 corps who finished behind  SCV had better concepts than SCV.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I really don't know ( of course). But you are giving me these 3 choices, and you put a gun to my head to name a Corps, 'guess I'd have to go with...... Crown. I'm not predicting this, I'm just saying that with the Cavs recent seasons upward placements trajectory, it would not surprise me all that much.. that's all.

Well, as I said before, the Cadets implosion certainly helped Cavies placement as much as Cavies improvement so 2017 will tell us much. I agree Cavies are much stronger then they've been and anything is possible but breaking into the top 3 is tough since those groups are fairly consistent in their excellence and formula. Every so often one will stumble with design and that's the opening Cavies may jump into. 

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

Well, as I said before, the Cadets implosion certainly helped Cavies placement as much as Cavies improvement so 2017 will tell us much. I agree Cavies are much stronger then they've been and anything is possible but breaking into the top 3 is tough since those groups are fairly consistent in their excellence and formula. Every so often one will stumble with design and that's the opening Cavies may jump into. 

I absolutely cringe when people say the cadets implosion was the reason The Cavies moved up. Not so long ago the Cavies were in the top 3 all but one year (4th in 2009) from 1999-2011. So can't the arguement be made that the reason all these other corps have done so well was because the Cavies had opened the door.

Michael Gaines left, and we see what happened to the green machine. Last time I looked both Crown and Cadets replaced key pieces in their staff. Also rumors abound of vets going to other corps as well. I think the top 3 in 2017 may be a little more open this year, giving a corps like SCV or Cavies the opportunity to get back into medal contention.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, corpsband said:

As for their placements,  is it really them moving up or just the guys around them kind of "missing" recently?   

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. Let's be honest, The Cadets haven't looked like the Cadets recently, The Cavaliers went slumming after 2011, and Phantom is acting like their name (Nowhere to be seen in the top 5 in recent years). With the addition of the Blue Coats consistently improving and the Blue Devils constantly placing in the top 2, SCV stands no chance if all of these corps were at their peak. 

Edited by CaviesFan17

But, the fact of the matter is all of these corps aren't at their peak. The only corps I have 100% confidence in is the Blue Devils. They haven't been below 5th place since 1975. Do you know how insane that is? They have been in the top 2 for what 9 or 10 years now? 

Bluecoats will likely stay in the top 3, Crown will probably fall, either SCV, Cavies, or Cadets rise to take the other medal. None of us know what's in store this year. I'm just excited to see it. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaviesFan17 said:

But, the fact of the matter is all of these corps aren't at their peak. The only corps I have 100% confidence in is the Blue Devils. They haven't been below 5th place since 1975. Do you know how insane that is? They have been in the top 2 for what 9 or 10 years now? 

Bluecoats will likely stay in the top 3, Crown will probably fall, either SCV, Cavies, or Cadets rise to take the other medal. None of us know what's in store this year. I'm just excited to see it. lol

I certainly don't agree with Crown falling but I can fully understand why you'd say it :unsure:  We'll just have to wait and see.  I would just point out that of the 2003 influx that set Crown on it's upward trajectory, many are already long gone.  What has remained the same are the guys who are still there.   And -- on paper at least -- Crown did well with the new folks.  Chemistry matters of course.  But many of these new folks were already working with together outside of Crown.   

I know I'm in the minority but I think PR is poised for a big rebound.  

I have no idea if Bloo really has lightning in a bottle sitting on the shelf in Canton.  

Cadets have chosen the right show.  But what will they do with it?

And yes -- BDs consistent placement is complete insanity.  But all things -- even BDs dominance -- eventually come to an end. 

And I think -- after a couple of stumbles -- the Cavies designers have it together.  It's just a matter of rebuilding that final level of excellence in the performers.  

If PR, Cavaliers surge and  Bloo, BD, Crown maintain,  it will be a tough neighborhood for SCV in which to find a spot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaviesFan17 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. Let's be honest, The Cadets haven't looked like the Cadets recently, The Cavaliers went slumming after 2011, and Phantom is acting like their name (Nowhere to be seen in the top 5 in recent years). With the addition of the Blue Coats consistently improving and the Blue Devils constantly placing in the top 2, SCV stands no chance if all of these corps are at their peak. 

Wow, you've got some interesting views of the activity.

Cavaliers have been slumming? Your Phantom comment?

Rather immature and sad, IMO.

I didn't say the corps themselves were bad? I said they had bad years, which they did. 

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Wow, you've got some interesting views of the activity.

Cavaliers have been slumming? Your Phantom comment?

Rather immature and sad, IMO.

I sort of read that as just colorful writing and not insulting.  But -- w/e.  It's just DCP.  

• Like 1

Why would I insult the Cavaliers, Phantom, or the Cadets? That's three of my favorite corps lol Going from 3rd (2011) to 8th (2012) isn't exactly terrific. I did not say the Cavaliers have done nothing since 2011, I said they sort of fell off after 2011 giving SCV another spot to move up. I even mentioned the Cavaliers and the Cadets as threats to medal this year in my next post. As for my Phantom comment, it was a joke. Seriously, you're always the guy trying to rip me for my comments and it's getting old. 

Edited by CaviesFan17