The Cavaliers 2017

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

I certainly don't agree with Crown falling but I can fully understand why you'd say it :unsure:  We'll just have to wait and see.  I would just point out that of the 2003 influx that set Crown on it's upward trajectory, many are already long gone.  What has remained the same are the guys who are still there.   And -- on paper at least -- Crown did well with the new folks.  Chemistry matters of course.  But many of these new folks were already working with together outside of Crown.   

I know I'm in the minority but I think PR is poised for a big rebound.  

I have no idea if Bloo really has lightning in a bottle sitting on the shelf in Canton.  

Cadets have chosen the right show.  But what will they do with it?

And yes -- BDs consistent placement is complete insanity.  But all things -- even BDs dominance -- eventually come to an end. 

And I think -- after a couple of stumbles -- the Cavies designers have it together.  It's just a matter of rebuilding that final level of excellence in the performers.  

If PR, Cavaliers surge and  Bloo, BD, Crown maintain,  it will be a tough neighborhood for SCV in which to find a spot.  

I hope you're right. I would love Crown to keep up these jaw dropping performances. Another corps we haven't even touched on is the Blue Knights. They could surprise people as well and push towards the top 5. There are just so many good corps right now it's going to be a close one this year for sure. 

I love Cavies. Great corps and great people. I remember the big birthday cake they gave us in 2009 for our 75th! (CADETS).. I'm just saying we talk about everyone getting stronger and moving up which means a strong guy ahead of you must move down. Certainly possible but that top few are consistent monster corps of late but agree Cavies are looking the best they have in quite some time. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tobias said:

Well, as I said before, the Cadets implosion certainly helped Cavies placement as much as Cavies improvement so 2017 will tell us much. I agree Cavies are much stronger then they've been and anything is possible but breaking into the top 3 is tough since those groups are fairly consistent in their excellence and formula. Every so often one will stumble with design and that's the opening Cavies may jump into. 

OF course there are some staff changes that could change consistency a bit this year.

Yay, the thread has some activity in it...

Edited by jjeffeory

22 hours ago, corpsband said:

Don't get me wrong -- the performers did a great job and the show was pleasant enough.  I guess it just bothers me when someone does a show that literally every HS band in the country has done at least twice.  I think the "class" comments just come from a  past love affair with SCV and not from the product on the field.   The Spark show -- other than the props -- was again just a pure imagination show and IMO not really bold at all.  As I said earlier -- last time they seemed like "Vanguard" to me was Devil's Staircase.  As for their placements,  is it really them moving up or just the guys around them kind of "missing" recently?  

I don't need ADD designs or profound concepts; simple is fine,  But if you're gonna be in the top 6, is it too much to ask for originality?    IMO the next 3 corps who finished behind  SCV had better concepts than SCV.  

My feeling is that it's "ok" not to be "cutting edge" every year. It's "ok" to revisit ideas that others have done as long as the ideas are interpreted in a way that is novel or at a very high level of excellence.

I totally get your position too.

Thing is, I completely expect an anniversary show from SCV for their anniversary this year.

9 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

My feeling is that it's "ok" not to be "cutting edge" every year. It's "ok" to revisit ideas that others have done as long as the ideas are interpreted in a way that is novel or at a very high level of excellence.

I totally get your position too.

Thing is, I completely expect an anniversary show from SCV for their anniversary this year.

"Cutting edge" is not the same thing as original although original is probably part of "cutting edge".  

3 minutes ago, corpsband said:

"Cutting edge" is not the same thing as original although original is probably part of "cutting edge".  

True.  

With that being said, just because a show theme may not be completely original, doesn't mean that the way the theme is done isn't original.

Remember, pretty much every note, every rhythm, and every chord has already been played. The way they're put together is what makes them stand out as something new.

I guess I haven't seen as many Seasons shows as you, cause I was ok with the theme and design of the show.

• Like 1

I don't have as much of a problem with themes as much as how they're presented.  SCV just marched well and played absolutely beautiful music with that as their backdrop.  I think 4th was the ceiling for them with that show and Cavaliers with a cleaner corps and Cadets with a better show design would have competed with them.  

I have loved just about every four seasons show in world class finals or not honestly, SCV last year, Cascades really fun mash up music book in 2014 that got them back on a great track, Colts last finalist show in 2007, and also their 1993 finalist show.  It's easy to get, provides lots of opportunity for great color usage and imagery, and lots of lush and beautiful music everyone can love.  

It's VERY tired unless you present it in an appealing way I agree, but a lot of show themes in DCI have been done before (western shows, statue shows, Pink Floyd wizard of oz shows, shows about film, etc) just gotta keep it fresh in presentation.

How that ties into Cavaliers 2017?  I guess don't do a four seasons show.  :p 

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

DrumManTx, you are one of my favorite people on this website. You have a lot of knowledge and always get your point across without sounding bias or rude. Wish I had your gift!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

OF course there are some staff changes that could change consistency a bit this year.

Yes, as a matter of fact, for those looking for more excitement in placements within the TOP 7 or 8 in DCI, these next 2 seasons could be the most intriguing, exciting in DCI in decades, imo. Heck, even Corps in the 8-14 placement positions and so forth could be filled with placement volatility these next 2 seasons as well. Genesis, is positioned geographically to move up the DCI totem pole these next few years if they play their cards right as well, imo. The only consistent is probably the Blue Devils.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1