The Cavaliers 2017

6 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Sorry, but compared to the 2016 juggernauts that are Crown, SCV, BD, and Bloo you are.  It's fine though, its great to see Cavies get back on top after Gaines leaving.

And Bertman...and Bruno...and Fiedler...

• Like 2

Wow! They were HOT tonight.  Being in the dome brought out a lot of things in the show to make things click.

A raspberry to all you nay sayers...  Seriously, predicting a 64 from THIS group of guys and this show?

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 5

Me and my son's favorite show of the night. I love the dark humor they've put into the last couple of shows.

Was the mix of My Way with Mars supposed to signify the end of Man? Kind of felt that way. "And now the end is near" and all of that.

Mike

• Like 3

The run tonight looked totally different than that of Tuesday's. Tonight was much more of a relaxed run through rather, since they weren't rushed into the performance. I absolutely loved the closer. The spinning quads and electric tuba seemed to be a hit with the crowd. 

• Like 1

Cavies was my favorite show tonight in the theatre.  I can see how it is not as hard or polished or whatever as some others, but I liked the music, smiled a bunch, and even lol at one point.  One request---more Mars?????  PLEASE????  With no weird sound effects, just a good minute of blow my face off brass and drums?  Then end with anything you want, I trust ya after last year...

They blew me away tonight, Tuesday was a TOTAL misinterpretation of this corps.  This is the best Cavaliers corps I've seen out the gate in a long time.  I'm shocked at the color guard score, when I wrote my review prior to reading the recap I thought they did an INCREDIBLE job.  

This show is a super hilarious, not taking itself too serious, and incredibly well put together and performed commentary on what masculinity is/was and is perceived.  I loved it.  Yes, even the hey bro section.  If this is it now, I cannot wait for them to iron out some transitions, add some clarity, and clean.  

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Had a feeling. I saw some clips of Blue Stars and I am a bit confused on the hype... not saying they are noy performing well, but I was not as impressed as some folks on here. And the corps were playing at a stand stil.

Blue Stars sound pretty good. And their show is more immediately accessible. It looks and sounds and feels like a drum corps show. I can see why it's impressing people at premier time and will continue to do so as it gets better. (The boy-girl pairings are kind of stupid, I think. You need to have studied up on a few Wikipedia pages to associate what's going on with the music. But that's a personal preference I don't hold against them.)

BS are in another league compared to what Cavies, Crown, and Bluecoats are doing, however. As I noted after the ST Finale, I think this Cavies thing is something that evolves. It's busy, maybe messy, right now. I've seen a few references on DCP to "over-designed" for it and some other shows. That might be right. But I'll trust the professionals to correct this as the tour progresses.

Really interesting prop use of that platform. The three framing pieces at the back add nothing.

Also, while the horns scored pretty well, I'm missing some power. Felt that way Tuesday night, too. Is this an arrangement thing - layering and complexity that minimizes moments for full sound music? I've no idea. Really noticeable once Crown blasted on.

Cavies are doing their thing. Good. And it looks like they are doing it well. Hope someone in that organization is the lever to prevent over-thinking things.

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I'm shocked at the color guard score, when I wrote my review prior to reading the recap I thought they did an INCREDIBLE job.

Me, too. They are doing complex things inside a complex drill. (Is that drill, though? So much is going on, I've forgotten the Cavies' drill tradition.) A very athletic performance.

Wouldn't mind a few more moments of big, bad, total-guard synchronization. That served Crown really well last year.

7 hours ago, littlejaw said:

Love the ending, can't wait for the new one at the end of the season that will be even better.

I wanted to love it, but will have to wait for that as it evolves. Given the piece, I thought it was odd to rely on the recording so much. They could use it as a prompt so we get the lyrics and reference to the show theme. But then shut it off and turn the horns loose on that. Live in LOS, I thought the recording was competing with the horns.

Not a big fan of voice recordings and vocals generally (Crown totally deflated their show with the vocal soloist). But that's not where I'm coming from here with My Way and the Cavies.

58 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Also, while the horns scored pretty well, I'm missing some power. Felt that way Tuesday night, too. Is this an arrangement thing - layering and complexity that minimizes moments for full sound music? I've no idea. Really noticeable once Crown blasted on.

I felt the same thing. I'm starting to wonder if marching all baritones and no euphoniums has something to do with it? Not sure. They are capable of producing some power, the impact after the triple tonguing section was pretty powerful from a volume standpoint.