The Cavaliers 2017

3 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Well then I continue to learn...so DCI is not the governing body over how many judges? It's up to how many judges the venue will pay? ( Tongue in Cheek) ...Could we eventually have a contest where we just grab a drunk fan, pull him up into the press box, and ask him who won? Between audition camps, equipment, fees, etc, we're about $5K in for one kid to march. I look at all the kids marching and I see $5K for each head on the field. And then become a little saddened that a full slate of judges can't be assembled to judge their work. I'm having an eye-opening evening! 

I think the thing to remember is that the score in Hamilton, OH tonight does not dictate how the season goes. Think of the drum corps season as being only about finals and the scores there. At these smaller shows critique is an important thing where the staff talk to the judges and figure out what is working/effective and what needs to change. Also these midseason shows are all money making stops for the corps on their 3 month trip from move-ins to finals night. It's definitely and oversimplified view on things but it helps me rationalize it. The judges missing tonight were the one's judging individual performance, those captions really are not the concern of most corps right now. They will be in clean mode in mid-July on. So a 5 person panel is 2 GE judges, Music Analysis, Visual Analysis, and either a drum or guard judge.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

I think the thing to remember is that the score in Hamilton, OH tonight does not dictate how the season goes. Think of the drum corps season as being only about finals and the scores there. At these smaller shows critique is an important thing where the staff talk to the judges and figure out what is working/effective and what needs to change. Also these midseason shows are all money making stops for the corps on their 3 month trip from move-ins to finals night. It's definitely and oversimplified view on things but it helps me rationalize it. The judges missing tonight were the one's judging individual performance, those captions really are not the concern of most corps right now. They will be in clean mode in mid-July on. So a 5 person panel is 2 GE judges, Music Analysis, Visual Analysis, and either a drum or guard judge.

Yeah, I totally get that...I've been following drum corps since the late 70's, early 80's when my brother marched with Spirit. Just never understood the judging rubric. Evidently this reduction to 5-man panels happened in the very recent past. I'm not upset about anything really. Certainly not complaining about the scores. Just have a perceived imbalance on the amount of resources the corps pour into their prep, travel, and finances, to not have a full panel. Don't know if it's always been this way or not ( early season shows having less than full panels) but my impression was that this was a change made just a few years back. I think honestly my comments come more from the financial load of supporting an MM and nothing else. If we can support them, then DCI could have some consistent judging standards...but if that's not the case...not much left to say. 

It is DCI that dictates if it will be a 5 or 8 man panels.  Local shows have no say.  DCI has been doing this for a few years and yes...to save money.  This is something the directors of the DCI corps approved.  It is only for the first part of the tour when many corps are still putting the finishing touches to their shows.

The 5 man panels always have 2 GE, the Music Analysis, the Visual Analysis plus 1 of the following Color Guard, Brass, or Percussion.

The major shows (like some of the regionals and Indy) add 2 more GE judges and 1 more percussion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

It is DCI that dictates if it will be a 5 or 8 man panels.  Local shows have no say.  DCI has been doing this for a few years and yes...to save money.  This is something the directors of the DCI corps approved.  It is only for the first part of the tour when many corps are still putting the finishing touches to their shows.

The 5 man panels always have 2 GE, the Music Analysis, the Visual Analysis plus 1 of the following Color Guard, Brass, or Percussion.

The major shows (like some of the regionals and Indy) add 2 more GE judges and 1 more percussion.

Thanks for that clarification! 

3 hours ago, ripchops said:

I talked to a friend (who's not in drum corps but has heard this from someone) that Cavaliers members don't like being called "Cavies." Is that true? 

No.

I mean you would not call a member a "Cavie", but when referring to the whole group, it is common to say "the Cavies".

Some people call them "Cavs", which I personally don't care for as we were never called that when I was there, but since the Cleveland "Cavs" got popular, I guess other people say that too about the corps.

Probably not a big deal either way...

Edited by jjeffeory

1 hour ago, littlejaw said:

It is an old school thing that is still prevalent today. I know I don't really like to be called a Cavie, but I just appreciate that people even know what drum corps is and on top of that The Cavaliers.

It's mostly just seen as childish, e.g. mommy is to mother. A term that has fully been embraced by the corps has been Cavs. It reminds me of being the mom to mother and not mommy.

Haha, we have opposite views on that!

We were always the Cavies ( as a group), and I NEVER heard "Cavs" until the last few years, which I found bizarre.

Case in point, go back and listen to the '90 Finals video at :10 seconds where Bruno says "It's a can of corn Cavies"...

Edited by jjeffeory

6 hours ago, Iloveband said:

Just Joshin you. Some current and fmm believe it's disrespectful. Some others don't seem to mind. 

That's right.  I don't mind the entire corps referred that way in the plural but as an FMM I don't like being referred that way in the singular.

• Like 1

We need to talk brass impact -- or lack thereof.  I was at the Hamilton competition last night and while The Cavaliers' brass line was tight and accurate, it wasn't very exciting.  Let's hope the volume gets turned up as the season progresses.