The Cavaliers 2017

21 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

My teenage kids liked Cavaliers, because they really didn't have to understand anything about marching or playing to be overwhelmed with their performance. For those of us who enjoy breaking down show designs and "understanding" the themes and ideas, there's not much there there with Cavaliers.  

As opposed to Bluecoats, whose design theme is about....um......a jagged line? Bowler hats? 

Both corps are using non-literal approaches that stress performance energy over deeper meaning (though I'd argue that Cavaliers are reaching for some irony with the My Way/Mars mashup - from that standpoint, they actually have more intellectual content). Bluecoats played the pure entertainment angle last year with great success, so didn't fix what wasn't broken.

Cavaliers are performing at a higher level, visually, with regards to individual consistency and execution (don't look at Bloo's feet if you care about technique), and there's a clear difference in book and performance levels of the guards that favors Rosemont. My guess is that Bluecoats will hang on in the 4th position, but it's a mistake for anyone to believe that the two programs are on significantly different planes. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 4

I actually think there are a ton of interesting undertones and thematic elements in this show if you dig for them.  It's not as in your face simple as some people are making it out to be.   

You can tell they're getting good when the critics and haters come out.  Not that some of that isn't good discussion but still.  

What bothers me about the Cavies visual design is exactly the disorganized, chaotic approach that people are mentioning. Yes, it takes some doing to be chaotic in a directed manner, but it has a far lower standard of excellence than a controlled and unified visual design. This is why I say that the Bluecoats have a better visual design; their floor for excellence is higher, and their ceiling is higher. The Cavaliers have hit their floor for visual excellence, but because of their design approach they may be close to maxing out. 

45 minutes ago, pudding said:

What bothers me about the Cavies visual design is exactly the disorganized, chaotic approach that people are mentioning. Yes, it takes some doing to be chaotic in a directed manner, but it has a far lower standard of excellence than a controlled and unified visual design. This is why I say that the Bluecoats have a better visual design; their floor for excellence is higher, and their ceiling is higher. The Cavaliers have hit their floor for visual excellence, but because of their design approach they may be close to maxing out. 

For years the Cavaliers approached their visual design in a controlled unison fashion, thru 2015 in fact. The Cadets approached it similarly as well. The simple truth is the judges weren't rewarding them for that approach. Time to try something different, seems to be working.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

For years the Cavaliers approached their visual design in a controlled unison fashion, thru 2015 in fact. The Cadets approached it similarly as well. The simple truth is the judges weren't rewarding them for that approach. Time to try something different, seems to be working.

It certainly seemed to work for them back in 2000-2006; the Green Machine was stunning to watch and was also highly rewarded. 2010 was also a banner year, and they used a similar visual approach. Part of the reason why I've fallen out of love with the Cavies lately is that they've strayed from the amazingly crisp and refined designs that won them titles. Recently I've felt that they are trying to reassert their identity, but they are mistaken in what their identity is. It's not just having a Y-chromosome, it's being mature and powerful, while still being under tight control. That is the Cavies I love, not this pastiche of testosterone. 

Just now, pudding said:

It certainly seemed to work for them back in 2000-2006; the Green Machine was stunning to watch and was also highly rewarded. 2010 was also a banner year, and they used a similar visual approach. Part of the reason why I've fallen out of love with the Cavies lately is that they've strayed from the amazingly crisp and refined designs that won them titles. Recently I've felt that they are trying to reassert their identity, but they are mistaken in what their identity is. It's not just having a Y-chromosome, it's being mature and powerful, while still being under tight control. That is the Cavies I love, not this pastiche of testosterone. 

And that's totally understandable. I too loved the drill and design we are all so familiar with BUT the judges were not giving them the scores , I call it the BD influence AKA Wgi lol

15 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

And that's totally understandable. I too loved the drill and design we are all so familiar with BUT the judges were not giving them the scores , I call it the BD influence AKA Wgi lol

You're correct, when you are told your visual approach doesn't work anymore, you change. Same with brass.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, pudding said:

In case ya didn't notice, 2000-2006 was over a decade ago

• Like 5

Just now, Cappybara said:

In case ya didn't notice, 2000-2006 was over a decade ago

And the much lauded visual designer responsible for 2000-2006, and 2010, and the years in between, now works for a different corps

• Like 4