Carolina Crown 2017

Just now, MikeN said:

So what's the repertoire?  :rolleyes:

Mike

didn't you hear?  Crown Imperial !    suffice it to say that the list is a bit odd looking at first. 

If Crown follows their normal routine, the  official announcement will probably come a week or two after their next camp (28-29-30 April).  

Carolina Crown Winter Camps 2017

article_20170412_wintercamps_1.JPG

It is delightful that Carolina Crown’s winter and spring camps are open to those of us who grow restless for the real deal through the long off-season. While the corps might only be at the forming stage of the triumvirate forming-storming-norming, it is impressive to witness exactly how a group of brass players from disparate schools, backgrounds, and experiences ultimately become the inimitable CrownBRASS.

From the dedicated alumni who are now on staff—Corey Futrell, Katie VanDoren, Kevin Leboeuf, Gilbert Villagrana, Dylan Toombs, to name a few—to  larger-than-life legends Matt Harloff, Michael Klesch, Ben Harloff, and a host of others, it is amazing to watch such disciplined, expert, and nurturing instruction, which ultimately culminates in a Jim Ott Award-winning brass line. Focus here is on the brass, as February and March camps are brass only, while guard, battery, and percussion personnel are steeped in the winter guard competitive season. While observers do not necessarily hear enough of the impending show to discern the theme or understand how it enhances the visual design, there are hints of superhuman passages characteristic of CrownBRASS. Many observers exclaim, “If this is what they’re like in March, imagine how amazing they will be in July and August!” During the March camp there were several passages where it was difficult to imagine the brass becoming much cleaner or more interesting. But as we all know, Crown will ratchet up the quality and uniqueness as time progresses. 

read more on Crown's website:

http://www.carolinacrown.org/index.php/connect/latest-news/170-carolina-crown-winter-camps-2017

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 6:49 PM, corpsband said:

Carolina Crown Winter Camps 2017

article_20170412_wintercamps_1.JPG

It is delightful that Carolina Crown’s winter and spring camps are open to those of us who grow restless for the real deal through the long off-season. While the corps might only be at the forming stage of the triumvirate forming-storming-norming, it is impressive to witness exactly how a group of brass players from disparate schools, backgrounds, and experiences ultimately become the inimitable CrownBRASS.

From the dedicated alumni who are now on staff—Corey Futrell, Katie VanDoren, Kevin Leboeuf, Gilbert Villagrana, Dylan Toombs, to name a few—to  larger-than-life legends Matt Harloff, Michael Klesch, Ben Harloff, and a host of others, it is amazing to watch such disciplined, expert, and nurturing instruction, which ultimately culminates in a Jim Ott Award-winning brass line. Focus here is on the brass, as February and March camps are brass only, while guard, battery, and percussion personnel are steeped in the winter guard competitive season. While observers do not necessarily hear enough of the impending show to discern the theme or understand how it enhances the visual design, there are hints of superhuman passages characteristic of CrownBRASS. Many observers exclaim, “If this is what they’re like in March, imagine how amazing they will be in July and August!” During the March camp there were several passages where it was difficult to imagine the brass becoming much cleaner or more interesting. But as we all know, Crown will ratchet up the quality and uniqueness as time progresses. 

read more on Crown's website:

http://www.carolinacrown.org/index.php/connect/latest-news/170-carolina-crown-winter-camps-2017

Went to Crown's website to read the entire article. This corps is a bit to arrogant for my taste. It's OK to hype your corps and speak favorably of them; however, this article is screaming of over the top arrogance and hype. I will admit Crown is a very good drum corps and they are always the first ones to tell you how good they are. A little humbleness once in a while wouldn't hurt their image!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dans said:

Went to Crown's website to read the entire article. This corps is a bit to arrogant for my taste. It's OK to hype your corps and speak favorably of them; however, this article is screaming of over the top arrogance and hype. I will admit Crown is a very good drum corps and they are always the first ones to tell you how good they are. A little humbleness once in a while wouldn't hurt their image!

FWIW, the article was written by a Drum Corps World journalist. Text below is at the bottom of the article.

Article by DCW Writer Gary J. Dickelman

Edited by dsundercover

51 minutes ago, dans said:

I just read this snip on here. It is very poorly written. I wouldn't blame that on Crown (DCW?) but Crown featuring it is a bit confusing and surprising since they typically have first class promotional materials in all cases. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dans said:

I'm sorry, but besides this hiccup, how is Crown arrogant? They are very humble and one of the most grounded corps out of the top 6. I think that's why a lot of people love the Crown. I completely disagree with your statement in all aspects. 

3 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

I'm sorry, but besides this hiccup, how is Crown arrogant? They are very humble and one of the most grounded corps out of the top 6. I think that's why a lot of people love the Crown. I completely disagree with your statement in all aspects. 

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

Cadet fans banging on Crown for being too arrogant, really?

I dunno -- did you get a look at those two drum majors?  Sure looked pretty arrogant to me :ninja: 

Edited by corpsband

5 hours ago, corpsband said:

I dunno -- did you get a look at those two drum majors?  Sure looked pretty arrogant to me :ninja: 

The article sounds ridiculous. I've read less flowery hallmark cards lol. Very over the top 

The members look great. 

• Like 1