Carolina Crown 2017

16 hours ago, imcbdit said:

Sorry I was not clear;  I meant the Crown guard vets who moved to Boston.  Crown has a track record and Boston has a "plan".   There have been many plans in drum corps over the years.  Some worked better than others.  I do have to agree that on paper Boston looks in great shape for the future.  But how long will it take those vets (who I believe won the high guard award last season) to get back into "contention"?  

I think you are operating under a mistaken premise; that is that corps members' only motivation is their final placement on Saturday night in August. Although I have found most MMs to be competitive, I think most would tell you that there is so much more to the experience than that Finals number.  If this wasn't the case, nobody would ever audition for any corps outside of the top 3 in a given year.  Members do indeed value who they march with and who they are taught by.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, craiga said:

I think you are operating under a mistaken premise; that is that corps members' only motivation is their final placement on Saturday night in August. Although I have found most MMs to be competitive, I think most would tell you that there is so much more to the experience than that Finals number.  If this wasn't the case, nobody would ever audition for any corps outside of the top 3 in a given year.  Members do indeed value who they march with and who they are taught by.

I understand and agree that there are many decisions that factor in to a choice of corps, especially the choice of corps at which you will "age out".  And loyalty to staff is certainly an important factor.     Some members audition and chose to stay at their first corps.  But surely you agree that some  choose to march their first corps just to gain enough experience to "move up"  to another corps.    In fact it's probably the case that most of the guard members we're discussing marched somewhere else before finally auditioning and making the corps in Carolina.   So I would suggest that finals placement did factor into these members' decision-making process.   The Carolina guard has a reputation for being one of the elite guards in drum corps.  It's almost unheard of for a member to move from a medalist corps to a corps who finished nine places lower and nearly missed finals.   Can you cite another instance where a large group of members moved from a 3rd place corps (who won their caption) to a 12th place corps?   I'm sure the members will have a good experience marching at Boston for the same staff this summer.  But they will often be going on much earlier in shows, perhaps  performing in daylight instead of under the lights.  Rehearsal days and show days will be very different just due to reporting and performance times.  Their former corps is very popular and has a huge following everywhere they performed.    The experience will be somewhat different.   Of course all this is a moot point if Boston medals and wins the colorguard caption!   It's just a very unusual situation.  

Here again, the Boston Crusaders were a 12th place corps on finals night last summer.  One might argue that, as of, May 18th, 2017, that might perhaps no longer be the case.  Either way, what these new members have done is  joined a 77 year old organization who has actually been a top 12 corps LONGER than Carolina Crown, with a storied history and a rock solid organization.  We can't know what the numbers will be, but this gets back to the concept I alluded to that there are elements to the DCI experience that go well beyond finals placement.  I wonder if you would have made the same argument in 2002 when Crown was in 16th and Boston came in 5th.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, craiga said:

Here again, the Boston Crusaders were a 12th place corps on finals night last summer.  One might argue that, as of, May 18th, 2017, that might perhaps no longer be the case.  Either way, what these new members have done is  joined a 77 year old organization who has actually been a top 12 corps LONGER than Carolina Crown with a storied history and a rock solid organization.  We can't know what the numbers will be, but this gets back to the concept I alluded to that there are elements to the DCI experience that go well beyond finals placement.  I wonder if you would have made the same argument in 2002 when Crown was not even in the top 12 and Boston came in 5th.

If 18 of Boston's guard had suddenly switched to Carolina I think it would have been just as unusual and worthy of discussion.  I don't think the longevity of the corps factored into these members' decision to switch.  If that were the case they would have never marched at Carolina in the first place.  Honestly I don't think it matters much to most members when deciding where to march.  It may become more significant once a member marches a season at a corps,  but I doubt it influences members decisions beforehand. 

I would imagine that parents and the marchers who transfer from one Corps to another know what they are doing & why they are doing it. Same as it ever was. Sometimes the parents, marchers find that experience at their transferred Corps to be everything and more that they hoped for, and sometimes less than they had hoped for. We all here know what the term " ring chasers " means. it bears no explanation. It bears no explanation because there are so many of these types. Now... sometimes the " ring chasers " got their ring, but oftentimes they didn't. But in every case, the " ring chasers " knew the risks, and nobody brought up the need for parents/ marchers to be aware of " the risk". Thats because it was self explanatory and self evident. Lots of Corps marchers however move to Corps that have little chance of moving into the TOP 12, let alone a medal Corps. As a matter of fact, they out number the so called " ring chasers " by a large margin in the numbers of transfers each off season. They have just as much at " risk " in that transfer decision as well, as their time, energy, self sacrifice, and sometimes even money, is just as much at " risk " as that of any " ring chaser " that might be out there in the huge DCI Transfer World that exists now in Drum Corps. That said, its hard to disagree that its unusual to have so many marchers move from a medal corps to a currently sitting 12th place Corps. I kind of like the turnabout. Its a nice " change " as for years and years, the lower placing corps routinely sent marchers and staffers to the elites and nobody batted an eye. This is WAY cooler to now see such a refreshing change in how the annual transfers work in DCI.  Nobody ( except a few ) saw this coming. Thats what makes it even more intriguing and interesting, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

7 hours ago, imcbdit said:

If 18 of Boston's guard had suddenly switched to Carolina I think it would have been just as unusual and worthy of discussion.  I don't think the longevity of the corps factored into these members' decision to switch.  If that were the case they would have never marched at Carolina in the first place.  Honestly I don't think it matters much to most members when deciding where to march.  It may become more significant once a member marches a season at a corps,  but I doubt it influences members decisions beforehand. 

This isn't that complicated or mysterious. Guard kids always follow staff. The top teams literally hand select most if not all of their members for each summer's corps. 

Percussion always tend to follow teachers - I just think with Cadets securing Tom and the techs he lined up kept the returning vets from switching to Boston. But typically they follow as well.

Brass is a different beast - always has been. 

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

This isn't that complicated or mysterious. Guard kids always follow staff. The top teams literally hand select most if not all of their members for each summer's corps. 

Percussion always tend to follow teachers - I just think with Cadets securing Tom and the techs he lined up kept the returning vets from switching to Boston. But typically they follow as well.

Brass is a different beast - always has been. 

That is so true.  Practically every drummer in Madison in 2006 left after the season with the change of caption head. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Historically, this is true. In the case with Cadets 2016, their Percussion was coming off a 6th place Percussion finish ( was 1st in 2015). Colin McNutt had inquiries from a couple of drummers he was familar with this off season, plus returnees at Boston he felt he could groom in his fashion. So he has them. So I think it'll work out well for both Corps here. Colin ( and Ian Moyer in the front ensemble ) have percussionists they can mold in their own manner at Boston, while Tom, who needs no primer on how to groom good drumlines, should be able to have the Cadets drumline soar, imo.  As for Carolina Crown , they have finished 5th, 5th, 7th the last 3 seasons in percussion, so if they intend to win or medal, they have ample room to potentially grow here as well this season, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Historically, this is true. In the case with Cadets 2016, their Percussion was coming off a 6th place Percussion finish ( was 1st in 2015). Colin McNutt had inquiries from a couple of drummers he was familar with this off season, plus returnees at Boston he felt he could groom in his fashion. So he has them. So I think it'll work out well for both Corps here. Colin ( and Ian Moyer in the front ensemble ) have percussionists they can mold in their own manner at Boston, while Tom, who needs no primer on how to groom good drumlines, should be able to have the Cadets drumline soar, imo

wow that's so not what happened. lol!

but that sounds like a good way for Boston to frame it. 

17 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

wow that's so not what happened. lol!

but that sounds like a good way for Boston to frame it. 

Maybe I'm too close to whats going on with Boston, and you're too close to whats going on with the Cadets and so our experiences are shaped by those experiences, and what we see and hear at our respective camps. Thats more than likely whats happening here George. I know you hear stuff all the time about the Cadets from people that don't have a clue, as they don't go to the Cadets camps and really don't know what they are talking about. I get that at Boston too. The stuff I hear makes me chuckle as well. I will look right at something a mere few feet in front of me, yet read on the social media that what I'm looking at, is not what I'm looking at.. haha!. and then find out that some rumor or some assessment was put out there from some anonymous source that was never within 1500 miles of a Boston camp in the off season.... lol!... what I take away from this offseason from all the people that have actually been at their Corps camps is that they are pleased with their Corps staffs and pleased with their Corps marcher talent levels.  That should be good enough for all of us at the moment, imo.

Edited by BRASSO