Carolina Crown 2017

37 minutes ago, Ghost said:

His suspension was for his comments in the Boston Crusaders thread.

Oh...

3 hours ago, AdamBomb said:

RIP corpsband :unhappy:. He got someone's panties all wadded up and they got him kicked off the page. 

He tends to do that lol

Everyone lately has been predicting crown to fall on its face this season. By crown standards, they mean dropping a few spots, out of the top 5 even. I read a commenter compare them to cadets 2016... I'm just curious as to why so many people actually believe this? Crown has been nothing but consistent these past few years I can't imagine how different staff is going to kill them. After all it's the marchers going out on finals night and doing the dang thing, not the staff. Let's remember they won visual, brass and color guard... to me it makes more sense to assume they'll do even BETTER, not worse. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

Everyone lately has been predicting crown to fall on its face this season. By crown standards, they mean dropping a few spots, out of the top 5 even. I read a commenter compare them to cadets 2016... I'm just curious as to why so many people actually believe this? Crown has been nothing but consistent these past few years I can't imagine how different staff is going to kill them. After all it's the marchers going out on finals night and doing the dang thing, not the staff. Let's remember they won visual, brass and color guard... to me it makes more sense to assume they'll do even BETTER, not worse. 

Cadets lost a drill writer and it was a disaster. Losing a top caption head and a ton of vets is bound to have some effect. They came in 3rd last year so even a small dip is 4th. They placed  4th several years even with OTT winning Brass.

15 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

they lost their visual and guard staff plus percussion guru Tom

but they gained a great drill guy and rilled the other positions internally

I'd say they could finish anywhere from 6th to 1st this coming summer - all depends on how well the staff settles in and obviously how well the corps around them do

I don't see a situation of them "falling on their face" as likely - but at this high level a bit of staff change can cause the corps to move a couple placements

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

I've got to agree with you here.

Brass is the same. - No drop here, maybe higher placement

Guard still has a bunch of talent and is being taught by people who align with those who left. - Not much of a drop off here; I mean they won last year, so a drop would be expected as they can't improve placement.

Percussion - No change

Drill - Replaced one good drill writing team with another legendary team. Jeff Sacktig is one of the best on the planet.

Crown gets tons of new members every year ( just like BD for example), so I don't know if they're going to drop like people seem to think.  It's going to be different, though.

The design team is extremely solid. The brass staff is solid. The percussion team is solid.  The visual staff is solid.  The guard staff is solid.

This off season doesn't even remotely compare to what Cadets experienced last year.  There will be no visual issues at Crown like there were with Cadets.

Also, the design team at Crown hasn't had anything like what we saw from the Cadets last year, no disrespect to the Cadets intended.

13 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Cadets lost a drill writer and it was a disaster. Losing a top caption head and a ton of vets is bound to have some effect. They came in 3rd last year so even a small dip is 4th. They placed  4th several years even with OTT winning Brass.

Complete and utterly different situations. The design and drill rewrites for last years show did them in. Crown won't experience that.

15 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

All the elite corps are so talented, it typically comes down to staff and design.  But I think it is a stretch to say "everyone" has been predicting Crown to fall.  Most of what I have seen and heard has been very positive.  Due to the staff changes, however, there is uncertainty and that is what is causing people to be more cautious when predicting.  They very well could win it all....and they could also place around 5th.  We won't know until we see something on the field.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I've got to agree with you here.

Brass is the same. - No drop here, maybe higher placement

Guard still has a bunch of talent and is being taught by people who align with those who left. - Not much of a drop off here; I mean they won last year, so a drop would be expected as they can't improve placement.

Percussion - No change

Drill - Replaced one good drill writing team with another legendary team. Jeff Sacktig is one of the best on the planet.

Crown gets tons of new members every year ( just like BD for example), so I don't know if they're going to drop like people seem to think.  It's going to be different, though.

The design team is extremely solid. The brass staff is solid. The percussion team is solid.  The visual staff is solid.  The guard staff is solid.

This off season doesn't even remotely compare to what Cadets experienced last year.  There will be no visual issues at Crown like there were with Cadets.

Also, the design team at Crown hasn't had anything like what we saw from the Cadets last year, no disrespect to the Cadets intended.

These are my thoughts exactly!