Carolina Crown 2017

1 minute ago, Brass34 said:

All the elite corps are so talented, it typically comes down to staff and design.  But I think it is a stretch to say "everyone" has been predicting Crown to fall.  Most of what I have seen and heard has been very positive.  Due to the staff changes, however, there is uncertainty and that is what is causing people to be more cautious when predicting.  They very well could win it all....and they could also place around 5th.  We won't know until we see something on the field.

Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit. But check out the predictions page, a good percent of the day to day posters on here won't put crown above third, that's where I got to thinking about all this. I'm so excited to see how everything unfolds. 

9 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I've got to agree with you here.

Brass is the same. - No drop here, maybe higher placement

Guard still has a bunch of talent and is being taught by people who align with those who left. - Not much of a drop off here; I mean they won last year, so a drop would be expected as they can't improve placement.

Percussion - No change

Drill - Replaced one good drill writing team with another legendary team. Jeff Sacktig is one of the best on the planet.

Crown gets tons of new members every year ( just like BD for example), so I don't know if they're going to drop like people seem to think.  It's going to be different, though.

The design team is extremely solid. The brass staff is solid. The percussion team is solid.  The visual staff is solid.  The guard staff is solid.

This off season doesn't even remotely compare to what Cadets experienced last year.  There will be no visual issues at Crown like there were with Cadets.

Also, the design team at Crown hasn't had anything like what we saw from the Cadets last year, no disrespect to the Cadets intended.

I haven't seen Crown's field show yet and you may be correct BUT all last OFFSEASON, Cadets Brass and Percussion were very impressive in all the vids released. So all speculation and yes Crown certainly can come out and win it all. 

12 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I've got to agree with you here.

Brass is the same. - No drop here, maybe higher placement

Guard still has a bunch of talent and is being taught by people who align with those who left. - Not much of a drop off here; I mean they won last year, so a drop would be expected as they can't improve placement.

Percussion - No change

Drill - Replaced one good drill writing team with another legendary team. Jeff Sacktig is one of the best on the planet.

Crown gets tons of new members every year ( just like BD for example), so I don't know if they're going to drop like people seem to think.  It's going to be different, though.

The design team is extremely solid. The brass staff is solid. The percussion team is solid.  The visual staff is solid.  The guard staff is solid.

This off season doesn't even remotely compare to what Cadets experienced last year.  There will be no visual issues at Crown like there were with Cadets.

Also, the design team at Crown hasn't had anything like what we saw from the Cadets last year, no disrespect to the Cadets intended.

eh - I'm somewhere less positiive

Percussion lost Tom Aungst - hardly no change

The other concern is the loss of a large number of guard vets - why did so many leave? Did they not believe in the replacement? Makes one wonder a bit

Drill - yes, Jeff is terrific. However it will be interesting to see him work within a "Brass first" organization

Visual - they lost movement/design guy as well as drill guy plus the "visual concept guru"

All that said I think they should be fine - but it won't be "business as usual" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnpendell said:

Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit. But check out the predictions page, a good percent of the day to day posters on here won't put crown above third, that's where I got to thinking about all this. I'm so excited to see how everything unfolds. 

I think most have a hard time placing them above BD or Bloo, considering they have had virtually no staff turnover.  Additionally, SCV now has Gaines....so watch out there. None of this really means anything, though, and I would not be surprised to see Crown get 1st or 2nd.  But when making a list of predicted final results in May, it's all we have to go off of.  It will be exciting! Just as it always is

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I haven't seen Crown's field show yet and you may be correct BUT all last OFFSEASON, Cadets Brass and Percussion were very impressive in all the vids released. So all speculation and yes Crown certainly can come out and win it all. 

Cadets brass and percussion were dumped on last year at finals because of the design and visual elements.  I don't care where they placed or what they scored, they were still top 3 sections.  Such is our current system.

I'm not going to even doubt Sacktig.  He has NEVER put out a crappy DCI design, and I wouldn't count on him starting to do that because he's writing for Crown.

Sorry, I love both of these two corps.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

eh - I'm somewhere less positiive

Percussion lost Tom Aungst - hardly no change

The other concern is the loss of a large number of guard vets - why did so many leave? Did they not believe in the replacement? Makes one wonder a bit

Drill - yes, Jeff is terrific. However it will be interesting to see him work within a "Brass first" organization

Visual - they lost movement/design guy as well as drill guy plus the "visual concept guru"

All that said I think they should be fine - but it won't be "business as usual" 

I was trying to remember who they lost, but Thom Hannum is no slouch. So I dunno...

Some guard vets leave to follow their favorite instructor, others stay with their organization. That one is a pretty simple explanation for me, but I get where you're coming from.

Maybe some movement ideas will come from guard staff again?

It should be fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I was trying to remember who they lost, but Thom Hannum is no slouch. So I dunno...

Some guard vets leave to follow their favorite instructor, others stay with their organization. That one is a pretty simple explanation for me, but I get where you're coming from.

Maybe some movement ideas will come from guard staff again?

It should be fun.

Lindsey Vento is the corps new movement person, she is great and has done wonders with Blue Springs HS.

as for the guard vets it's basically split in half with Boston 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

I think most have a hard time placing them above BD or Bloo, considering they have had virtually no staff turnover.  Additionally, SCV now has Gaines....so watch out there. None of this really means anything, though, and I would not be surprised to see Crown get 1st or 2nd.  But when making a list of predicted final results in May, it's all we have to go off of.  It will be exciting! Just as it always is

I kind of can't place anyone above Bluecoats anymore after 2016 regardless of who is moving where, unfortunately. Hear me out, Crown wins visual, brass, and color guard, you know, the basis of drum corps and the reason it is what it is, and get's 3rd. IMO what made corps amazing isn't celebrated anymore you can't march and play well with interesting drill and complimentary guard anymore. Everything has to be thematically deep and philosophical and existential or conceptual, or it's boring. It's forcing a lot of corps to question their identity and basically change, or be lost. I commend Bluecoats for being innovative and different, cause that's their gig. But it bothers me that they're considered by many (even me) to be a champion contender again with dirty brass, visual, etc. when there's corps who don't need to overcomplicate things and IMO have WAY more enjoyable and cleaner shows, only to be stuck on 4th place island (SCV) just because of GE, the most subjective caption? I heard BD's opening 5 minutes, that Flight of The Bumblebee is wild... but it seems already it won't be enough, because the Coats will be shaking their hips while sliding down a ramp (or this year, an even bigger prop). kinda went off on a tangent there... your comment on BD and Bloo made me think about that. Guess my point is what does it matter where other corps' staff moves, Bluecoats are gonna win cause of gimmick anyway. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Cadets brass and percussion were dumped on last year at finals because of the design and visual elements.  I don't care where they placed or what they scored, they were still top 3 sections.  Such is our current system.

I'm not going to even doubt Sacktig.  He has NEVER put out a crappy DCI design, and I wouldn't count on him starting to do that because he's writing for Crown.

Sorry, I love both of these two corps.

I won't argue with you when you're correct. I just won't.

Unlike most here I've had the chance to see this years corps on a couple of occasions. My personal opinion is this will be a bit of a transition year. The brass looks to be a step above the percussion and guard, but all three units are talented. Watching ensemble at their last camp I walked away thinking that they were not at the same level they had been at this time the previous three or four seasons, but that's not really a good way to judge how successful a group will be in August. And I'm not yet sold on the book. That said, it's still May. They've got work to do, but they've only been at camp 3 days.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 1