Carolina Crown 2017

57 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Drill - yes, Jeff is terrific. However it will be interesting to see him work within a "Brass first" organization 

If this is Crown's thinking, a good drill writer can present a great drill that still allows the other sections to shine.  Shouldn't be an issue.

36 minutes ago, Flguardman said:

Lindsey Vento is the corps new movement person, she is great and has done wonders with Blue Springs HS.

as for the guard vets it's basically split in half with Boston 

sounds great.

21 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Unlike most here I've had the chance to see this years corps on a couple of occasions. My personal opinion is this will be a bit of a transition year. The brass looks to be a step above the percussion and guard, but all three units are talented. Watching ensemble at their last camp I walked away thinking that they were not at the same level they had been at this time the previous three or four seasons, but that's not really a good way to judge how successful a group will be in August. And I'm not yet sold on the book. That said, it's still May. They've got work to do, but they've only been at camp 3 days.

I agree - it's not where you start, it's where you finish. And in DCI - often HOW you finish. A lot of movement the last several years in the top six in each of the final 14 days of the season

• Like 1

Well, I didn't spot CorpsBand at Gardner Webb tonight, but I did get a chance to hear (and see!) Crown for the first time this year.

WOW!

I have no idea what the overall theme will be, but the music I heard tonight was exciting and had some notes here and there (and there and there and there). I can't say where it will end up in August, but the potential is there for some really spectacular, technically demanding brass moments. I know nothing about percussion, but there were some really nice moments in the battery and the front ensemble that even I noticed as really nice moments.

I could see obvious differences in style of the drill from years past, but don't have much else to say about the visual parts.

Yes, this is vague and non-specific, because it's early and I don't wanna' judge much from day 3 of spring training, and also because I'm not interested in spoiling however Crown wants to go about announcing their show. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, besson57 said:

Well, I didn't spot CorpsBand at Gardner Webb tonight, but I did get a chance to hear (and see!) Crown for the first time this year.

WOW!

I have no idea what the overall theme will be, but the music I heard tonight was exciting and had some notes here and there (and there and there and there). I can't say where it will end up in August, but the potential is there for some really spectacular, technically demanding brass moments. I know nothing about percussion, but there were some really nice moments in the battery and the front ensemble that even I noticed as really nice moments.

I could see obvious differences in style of the drill from years past, but don't have much else to say about the visual parts.

Yes, this is vague and non-specific, because it's early and I don't wanna' judge much from day 3 of spring training, and also because I'm not interested in spoiling however Crown wants to go about announcing their show. 

Thanks for the update! Nice to hear how they're doing after all the rumors that have been flying around :)

1 hour ago, besson57 said:

WOW!

I'm hoping that this year their more technical and note-filled moments won't end up sounding like warm ups. Since 2013 there have been parts of their shows that have sacrificed melodic flow for random (but really impressive) runs that don't quite fit into their shows

14 hours ago, johnpendell said:

Everyone lately has been predicting crown to fall on its face this season. By crown standards, they mean dropping a few spots, out of the top 5 even. I read a commenter compare them to cadets 2016... I'm just curious as to why so many people actually believe this? Crown has been nothing but consistent these past few years I can't imagine how different staff is going to kill them. After all it's the marchers going out on finals night and doing the dang thing, not the staff. Let's remember they won visual, brass and color guard... to me it makes more sense to assume they'll do even BETTER, not worse. 

I'm hoping Crown does well this season. I know how staff changes can cause issues (I went through a huge staff change in 2000 with Cadets, and well, we know how that turned out). Doesn't necessarily mean that they will be terrible, nor does it mean they will win. It all depends on how everything goes together and also how they compete against the other corps. I'm looking forward to more of the same from Crown; excellent show design, excellent drill, FANTASTIC hornline, etc.

13 hours ago, johnpendell said:

I kind of can't place anyone above Bluecoats anymore after 2016 regardless of who is moving where, unfortunately. Hear me out, Crown wins visual, brass, and color guard, you know, the basis of drum corps and the reason it is what it is, and get's 3rd. IMO what made corps amazing isn't celebrated anymore you can't march and play well with interesting drill and complimentary guard anymore. Everything has to be thematically deep and philosophical and existential or conceptual, or it's boring. It's forcing a lot of corps to question their identity and basically change, or be lost. I commend Bluecoats for being innovative and different, cause that's their gig. But it bothers me that they're considered by many (even me) to be a champion contender again with dirty brass, visual, etc. when there's corps who don't need to overcomplicate things and IMO have WAY more enjoyable and cleaner shows, only to be stuck on 4th place island (SCV) just because of GE, the most subjective caption? I heard BD's opening 5 minutes, that Flight of The Bumblebee is wild... but it seems already it won't be enough, because the Coats will be shaking their hips while sliding down a ramp (or this year, an even bigger prop). kinda went off on a tangent there... your comment on BD and Bloo made me think about that. Guess my point is what does it matter where other corps' staff moves, Bluecoats are gonna win cause of gimmick anyway. 

I'm sorry, but I cannot disagree more with that first statement. Bluecoats had a revolutionary show, but let's face it. They did NOT win last year by a wide margin (only by .40 points, and only .57 from the third-placing Crown). I think they won because they performed the hell out of their show and did better than the corps below them. But the show was dirty (feet-wise). I'll never take anything away from their winning their first championship, but to imply the difficulty of placing another corps above Bluecoats is a bit of a longshot imo. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out this season from Bluecoats, as well as Crown, and everyone else. I really want a competitive season this year. Too bad I won't be at finals this year but I spent so much money on my trip to France that I'm not giving it up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm hoping that this year their more technical and note-filled moments won't end up sounding like warm ups. Since 2013 there have been parts of their shows that have sacrificed melodic flow for random (but really impressive) runs that don't quite fit into their shows

I think you'll be happy, at least judging from the 2-3 minute section I heard last night. The source music itself has a lot of the rhythmic passages and runs in it, perhaps embellished by the arranger a bit, but fitting into the music. 

The music they chose is very demanding. One piece in particular is gonna be bonkers..

24 minutes ago, besson57 said:

I think you'll be happy, at least judging from the 2-3 minute section I heard last night. The source music itself has a lot of the rhythmic passages and runs in it, perhaps embellished by the arranger a bit, but fitting into the music. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, besson57 said:

WOW!

This is vague and nonspecific. Kidding... thanks for the critique! It's tough to get much from ST.