Carolina Crown 2017

7 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I'm hoping Crown does well this season. I know how staff changes can cause issues (I went through a huge staff change in 2000 with Cadets, and well, we know how that turned out). Doesn't necessarily mean that they will be terrible, nor does it mean they will win. It all depends on how everything goes together and also how they compete against the other corps. I'm looking forward to more of the same from Crown; excellent show design, excellent drill, FANTASTIC hornline, etc.

I'm sorry, but I cannot disagree more with that first statement. Bluecoats had a revolutionary show, but let's face it. They did NOT win last year by a wide margin (only by .40 points, and only .57 from the third-placing Crown). I think they won because they performed the hell out of their show and did better than the corps below them. But the show was dirty (feet-wise). I'll never take anything away from their winning their first championship, but to imply the difficulty of placing another corps above Bluecoats is a bit of a longshot imo. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out this season from Bluecoats, as well as Crown, and everyone else. I really want a competitive season this year. Too bad I won't be at finals this year but I spent so much money on my trip to France that I'm not giving it up.

This is true that Bluecoats didn't win in a land slide. But they won basically every show leading up to Finals except a couple. I was at San Antonio and I remember thinking Crown had it, I even went with a friend who's not musical at all and she agreed with me. I don't understand what you mean by Bluecoats performed the hell out of their show and just did better, then to say it was dirty with the feet. I'll add it was dirty in the brass too...there's spots all over. There was really nothing special about the show other than the slides, the spread out front ensemble and the numerous amps that are basically a second contra section when needed. Not even gonna mention uniforms it's irrelevant. BUT, this was the formula that won, and with the major changes that all these corps are starting to do, whether it's because of Bluecoats or not, it appears it is now the formula for the future. I could be so wrong and I'll own up to it as the season progresses. I'm just concerned DCI is turning into WGI on crack, and I know many marchers who are for so many of these changes. I just don't want the art form to be unrecognizable in 5 years. If that makes sense? BTW have fun in France, that sounds WAY more rewarding, and you can watch periscopes while having some wine and cheese!

27 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

This is true that Bluecoats didn't win in a land slide. But they won basically every show leading up to Finals except a couple. I was at San Antonio and I remember thinking Crown had it, I even went with a friend who's not musical at all and she agreed with me. I don't understand what you mean by Bluecoats performed the hell out of their show and just did better, then to say it was dirty with the feet. I'll add it was dirty in the brass too...there's spots all over. There was really nothing special about the show other than the slides, the spread out front ensemble and the numerous amps that are basically a second contra section when needed. Not even gonna mention uniforms it's irrelevant. BUT, this was the formula that won, and with the major changes that all these corps are starting to do, whether it's because of Bluecoats or not, it appears it is now the formula for the future. I could be so wrong and I'll own up to it as the season progresses. I'm just concerned DCI is turning into WGI on crack, and I know many marchers who are for so many of these changes. I just don't want the art form to be unrecognizable in 5 years. If that makes sense? BTW have fun in France, that sounds WAY more rewarding, and you can watch periscopes while having some wine and cheese!

IMO there's more to a great performance than lack of dirt.

• Like 2

Just now, jpaul said:

IMO there's more to a great performance than lack of dirt.

Sure. But I believe the winning show should be the best executed in playing, marching, visual, and guard. Otherwise what's the point of even trying to get clean if you can just be rewarded and win for having a "cool show". Just my opinion as well! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

Unfortunately, I don't like cheese lol...

I realize what you're saying. And I hope what they did last year isn't a catalyst for things to come, but I have a feeling you might be right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnpendell said:

I think the judges were rewarding the most innovative show and I get that and it was Bloo. I wasn't at INDY but saw them at Allentown? and yes they were electric. The crowd was eating out of their hands and if you watched the overall show, yep no doubt they were numero uno. If you were one to look deep at how they were doing it, I was quite taken back by the dirty feet. Lines, marchers out of step (during very fast section of course) but if GE was the what determined the winner, then yes they owned that. 

Crown on the other hand was immaculate, just so squeaky clean but I thought the show was a yawn fest (and I love Crown) so how do we reward drum corps? 

In the scheme of things, only 2 corps have medaled the past 3 consecutive seasons, and Bloo is one of them. One thing I always remembered is that judges love consistency and consistency does buy you the benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I think the judges were rewarding the most innovative show and I get that and it was Bloo. I wasn't at INDY but saw them at Allentown? and yes they were electric. The crowd was eating out of their hands and if you watched the overall show, yep no doubt they were numero uno. If you were one to look deep at how they were doing it, I was quite taken back by the dirty feet. Lines, marchers out of step (during very fast section of course) but if GE was the what determined the winner, then yes they owned that. 

Crown on the other hand was immaculate, just so squeaky clean but I thought the show was a yawn fest (and I love Crown) so how do we reward drum corps? 

In the scheme of things, only 2 corps have medaled the past 3 consecutive seasons, and Bloo is one of them. One thing I always remembered is that judges love consistency and consistency does buy you the benefit of the doubt. 

Seems that being squeaky clean no longer guarantees a championship. It worked for BD for a decade, but not last year.  Maybe a sea change has come.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

Seems that being squeaky clean no longer guarantees a championship. It worked for BD for a decade, but not last year.  Maybe a sea change has come.

It worked for BD in 2015. That was not the best show. But they were clean. 

• Like 1

Just now, jjeffeory said:

Just now, jjeffeory said:

Some seasons you just don't get that one show that has the effect and high performance level so the green backs have to make a decision. 

• Like 1

I just think that it's hilarious that every season BD wins, there are plenty of people who go "IF ONLY SOMEONE OTHER THAN BD WON" and then we got that in 2016 and now everyone is like "WELL BD WAS BETTER AND CLEANER AND GOOD". 

• Like 1