Carolina Crown 2017

1 hour ago, DCImonkey said:

Yeah man...all that movement...geez.   I long for the days when they would just stand there and park and bark the fast parts (looking at you Cadets 97)  

Cadets were always known to park and bark. Barely move when they play. Oops, wrong corps...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beckham said:

I headed out to GW to watch a bit earlier this week. Hornline really is fire like usual. Beautiful, characteristic Carolina Crown sound. If I were to guess, I would guess that the bari/euph line has the highest percentage of vets. They sound so good. And I would guess the trumpets or tubas have the lowest percentage of vet. Both are rough around the edges, tubas in tone quality and trumpets in articulation.

The body movement....I just don't know. They will of course rep them like crazy and clean them up. It just seems to me like a lot of the stuff they're doing right now doesn't add much to enhance what they're doing musically and in some cases actually could inhibit the players from getting as clean as possible musically. Time will tell. 

Wouldn't worry 2 weeks into ST. The Brass will be stellar. Still in learning mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCImonkey said:

Yeah man...all that movement...geez.   I long for the days when they would just stand there and park and bark the fast parts (looking at you Cadets 97)  

That show parked and barked even the slow (ballad) part :tongue:

14 hours ago, Flguardman said:

#### the judgement in the room is thick over a 30sec clip. 

Funniest part is they may rewrite that section or remove it altogether....

• Like 2

Went to GW last night hoping to see ensemble but the corps was working in sectionals. Brass on the main field, drums by the dorms and not sure where the guard was. The corps is still working through the opener, and as previously mentioned, there is a LOT of body movement happening and you can tell they are still in teaching mode. I would say the corps is about 2 or 3 days behind schedule at this point, probably due to weather we've had here in the Carolina's the past week or so. Musically, drum line was working on the opener, which is fun and chaotic. Quite a few notes to get through in the brass and drum book. The kids are doing well, but it feels like a steeper learning curve this year than in the past. 17 days until the preview show, 3 weeks tol the opening show in Indy. Will post another update next week when we go out.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Went to GW last night hoping to see ensemble but the corps was working in sectionals. Brass on the main field, drums by the dorms and not sure where the guard was. The corps is still working through the opener, and as previously mentioned, there is a LOT of body movement happening and you can tell they are still in teaching mode. I would say the corps is about 2 or 3 days behind schedule at this point, probably due to weather we've had here in the Carolina's the past week or so. Musically, drum line was working on the opener, which is fun and chaotic. Quite a few notes to get through in the brass and drum book. The kids are doing well, but it feels like a steeper learning curve this year than in the past. 17 days until the preview show, 3 weeks tol the opening show in Indy. Will post another update next week when we go out.

Why is the learning curve steeper? Program content, less vets, different staff?

24 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Why is the learning curve steeper? Program content, less vets, different staff?

Frankly put the book is tough. Not only is it tough, there are a ton of changes to the staff making it a different and new experience for everyone there. To be expected, really.

That said, I'm sure you guys all will love the show once you see it. It's definitely something unique and different but at the same time you still can tell that Crown is performing it. I'll agree, however, that they do seem a bit behind in comparison to past years. Probably due to the previously mentioned points.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Disagree that they are 2 to 3 days behind schedule.  Totally opposite of what the corps is being told and what I'm hearing veterans think.  They were also given the night off last weekend.  I don't believe this would have happened if they were behind schedule.

2 hours ago, Zerix said:

Not only is it tough, there are a ton of changes to the staff making it a different and new experience for everyone there.  

Only for the veterans on and off the field.