Carolina Crown 2017

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Well, that sounds like a Matt Harloff-taught hornline alright. They sound fantastic. 

So genuine question here, why do Klesch's arrangements for Crown differ so much from The Academy? I understand there's a difference in the talent level between the two corps.. but why is the style so insanely different? 

In this Youtube recording I just listened to, apart from the first 1:30 and the ballad (which is gorgeous btw), there was little melody whatsoever. Lots of technical writing that shows off the impressive talent of the corps and the amazing organ-like sound they produce... but the rest just kinda falls flat because they're playing a ton of notes and it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. By contrast, Academy's show last season was so melodical and any technical passages didn't feel overdone. 

Idk, it's a very early recording, there's a good chance many things will be tweaked, but I feel a bit disappointed because I really want to enjoy it, but am finding a hard time doing so. 

Agreed pretty much 100%. I'd say to start, the source material that each group is using makes one melodic and one technical. I'm sure there are much better answers than just that, but it's still a good starting place.

• Like 1

It Is... what? I'll likely get it when the season moves along. I had this same unsure feeling when Inferno was put out but I knew that was about Dante's Inferno. I'm positive this show will morph into something great over the course of the season. 

• Like 1

Agreed with everything said so far. Didn't wow me --- and obviously those horns will wow everyone by the end of the season, I just mean that I'm not super impressed by the bones of the show. Seems like an odd departure from typical Crown fair, we shall see if it pays off by the end of the season!

The Bach is quite nice. I'm assuming the Radiohead will be the preshow? "For Good" is utterly full of musical moments and will be evoking chills & tears by the end of the season. I'm in LOVE with "No One to Know One"!!!! Such a technical piece full of interesting meter changes and you can tell the members already adore performing that section. I could feel the energy through the recording. The "opener" (Crown Imperial & The Giannini) is the part that doesn't make sense to me. Just doesn't seem to move forward or...go anywhere, I guess. It just seems like a section to "get through" at the moment; I listened a few times and was unintrigued by the entire section. In all fairness, I've long thought the Giannini is an uninteresting piece and I've never been able to understand why it's such a staple of upper level concert band literature. 

Besides the Giannini/Crown Imperial movement, the biggest head scratcher for me is how it's all tied together. Right now it makes no sense, and not in a way that I see a good structure where transitions and tweaking will tie it all together. It's just...odd. Lots of nice spots and cool music, but overall, it seems to be a hodgepodge of music jammed together in a way that doesn't work (just yet, anyway). As mentioned previously in this thread, it really seems as if the staff themselves aren't sure of what the end result for this design is at this point, although there could be a grand masterplan at work and this will end up being a home run of a show. It seems upon first viewing, and reading previous posts, that it's hard for most of us to imagine this one becoming a home run, though. Let's hope we're all happily wrong!

Edited by Jake W.
  • Like 6

Overall, pretty underwhelming. I felt this same way about 2015's Inferno on first viewing, though and, well we know how that turned out. It'll be interesting to see how it develops throughout the season.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 2

Unbelievable brass, no question.

show design, don't know what to think. Feels very BOA to me. Meh. Nothing seemed front edge. Other then a few brass moments there was no wow factor for me. Very unusual. The beginning section feels very Cadets "Toy Souldier"to me.

I know it's really early but may be my least favorite show from Crown in a very long time. Hopefully they change my mind as the season progresses. 

Sorry everyone. 

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 6

This feeling sort of reminds me of 2014. When I saw that show, I didn't get it, and felt like they just put something together. Don't get me wrong, the sound is good, but overall the show is lacking. I do agree that this feels like BOA in the area of Broken Arrow in some way.

• Like 1

... watched the forbidden video... I've been up to date on their show announcements, but after watching the run-through it feels like a 'cool music + cool drill = cool show' approach. Is that what it's suppose to be? If there is some type of underlying theme or meaning, it went straight over my head. Obviously they will continue to add as the season goes on, but for now...? Obviously their performance level is amongst the best. 

Ya know, it feels like a WGI show to me, in that, for me, the majority of WGI shows (at least percussion) are designed along the lines of "let's do a ton of really cool stuff and try and make a show that fits it." I think this "It Is" show is just "It Is... Cool." Not much else to it. They just do a ton of cool stuff.

Brass is OOTW. Last year was the first Crown show where I was underwhelmed (talent and performance level aside). This show even more so. Since 2007, I saw a Crown show once and was in love. It's only ST but if GE judges rip a  show apart for a non cohesive construct, this may be a problem. BUT performance level should carry them early season giving staff time to "tie it all together" so still not worried. Yet.

Edited by Tobias