Carolina Crown 2017

20 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

http://www.carolinacrown.org/index.php/connect/latest-news/178-2017-crown-show-announcement

And the video is no secret.  My reaction is quite simply wait and see.  It's still an ENTIRE season to Championships!

I pretty much figured that the show title would be exactly what "It Is"!!

Edited by bvgordy

I have not read anything on The Crown Website/FB Page/Email about a Live Stream of tonight's Reveal...

Does anyone have any info about a possible Live Stream??

Everything is great until the vocalist enters. Would be much more effective if there was less of her. Some of it I like, but it's too much. Love the horns, but overall im not feeling this show like in past years, YET. Still plenty of time to change my mind. But right now im "meh"

Also, playing music from Wicked....I cant help but think of the THOUSANDS of high school bands across the country that have played it too. An odd choice for an elite group IMO. Part of the reason Bluecoats feel so innovative and fresh is because they find music most people have never heard before

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Also, playing music from Wicked....I cant help but think of the THOUSANDS of high school bands across the country that have played it too. An odd choice for an elite group IMO. Part of the reason Bluecoats feel so innovative and fresh is because they find music most people have never heard before

Great point. 

Plenty of groups have used Medea before, but I thought their take last year was fresh. This year's use of the Wicked tune seems less fresh (so far).

Musically, I love it.  The ballad is too reliant on the vocalist in my opinion.  She's great in the beginning but let the brass shine during the latter half.  "NO one" sounds great as well, but I thought percussion would get more of a full-length feature at some point.  It is a percussion piece after all... but regardless, I do enjoy the brass writing and how it compliments the original piece.    

Conceptually, I have no idea what's going on.  I feel the exact same way about this show as I did when I first saw E=mc2.  I enjoyed the music, but had no idea what was going on and figured it wouldn't even break top 3.  Now of course as we know E=mc2 ended up being the most successful Crown show of all time.  

So, I'm not going to rule them out of a medal just yet.  Just like E=mc2, we'll probably see a TON of changes, additions, etc. between now and August (hopefully).  On another note, I can't wait to see a full picture of the uniforms!  Those shakos look really intriguing even from a distance.   

Edited by Mac13
  • Like 2

Just now, kdaddy said:

Great point. 

Plenty of groups have used Medea before, but I thought their take last year was fresh. This year's use of the Wicked tune seems less fresh (so far).

Medea has been used fairly often in drum corps, much less so in the high school band world. But go to any high school marching band competition and you'll likey come across a group playing music from Wicked.