Carolina Crown 2017

1 minute ago, defeldus2 said:

Purple looks so, so good on Crown.

Didn't they use to wear purple tops before switching to the all-cream look?

Just saw another video of Crown.  I am starting to really like this program.  As before, I love the first 2 minutes.  Fantastic power and staging, and you gotta love a strong Bach opening. I remain somewhat confused by the transition from Bach and then what sounds like William Walton (not sure) to the musical theater style ballad.  However, I really love the ballad and the singing is wonderful. The brass is playing some nice stuff behind the singer and it's balanced well.  The second half of the show feels more musical theater to me, but at times the singer also reminds me of Bjork with her vocal inflections and contemporary style. Crown is really cleaning and polishing, so as they add and layer new ideas onto this show they should be in a good position to score well.  Definitely starting to think it has top 3 potential. 

• Like 3

Easily my favorite uniform that I've seen from Crown and all of DCI in 2017 (with eyes out still for Stars, Cadets, SCV, BD, and Bloo).

I really like the uniforms. They kind of have a BD vibe to them, but definitely still Crown and still a uniform rather than a costume.

The show itself ... seems a few steps back from where Crown started the past few years. It's much harder to see the overall storyline/shape to the show, and it seems to want for much more GE. I don't object to the vocalist per-se, but they need to re-think how much she is used. She's fine as a singer, but not nearly compelling enough to be featured for like 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Ok, what do people think?  Does Crown have a chance to win this year with this show?  If it's light on GE, is that going to hurt them (esp. going up against hyper-GE Bluecoats?)  Let's get real here...what is this show likely to place?  

7 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

Ok, what do people think?  Does Crown have a chance to win this year with this show?  If it's light on GE, is that going to hurt them (esp. going up against hyper-GE Bluecoats?)  Let's get real here...what is this show likely to place?  

Can’t say, too early

They look to be cleaner at this point than others I’ve seen, including BD so that bodes well.