Carolina Crown 2017

1 hour ago, chris7997 said:

Crown's hats this year are certainly unique.  Does anyone think they look too big?  They look like they are too big for the marchers' heads. 

I don't think they look as big as '13 and '14 did.  I know they're the same basic design but both years they looked significantly larger than '16 and now.  

I can't wait to see them in the theater. Despite some problems this show has some potential backed by awesome caption strength. With the right changes I could see them not only doing well but getting more people to enjoy the show.

Just now, Brass Lover said:

I can't wait to see them in the theater. Despite some problems this show has some potential backed by awesome caption strength. With the right changes I could see them not only doing well but getting more people to enjoy the show.

Crown is always enjoyable to watch. High performance levels in all captions. From a competitive standpoint down the line, the lack of cohesiveness is the issue. Fixable absolutely 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, skevinp said:

This show is creating some very strange sentences, It Is.

Is this bigfoot?

On 6/20/2017 at 1:45 PM, ShortAndFast said:

I really like the uniforms. They kind of have a BD vibe to them, but definitely still Crown and still a uniform rather than a costume.

The show itself ... seems a few steps back from where Crown started the past few years. It's much harder to see the overall storyline/shape to the show, and it seems to want for much more GE. I don't object to the vocalist per-se, but they need to re-think how much she is used. She's fine as a singer, but not nearly compelling enough to be featured for like 5 minutes.

The last three years were themed shows (space, hell, western), this is a concept show a la 2009, 2012, 2013. I personally much prefer concept shows as opposed to themes that can be a little hoakey. You gotta admit, the past three years all had a pretty high cheese score.

Edited by defeldus2
  • Like 1

I have watched a video of Crown's performance three times and listened to just the audio once. Since everyone else has offered an early opinion, I will add mine too:

The opener is perfect. 

The second piece (sorry, don't know the name) is amazing. It showcases the hornline's amazing technique and velocity.

The ballad. I think the singing can be OK. A little pitchy hear and there (better than I could do, to be clear). It is a little "Disney on Ice". I'm not a fan of singing in DCI. The performer is fine. I wonder if a solo horn player playing a similar melody as the singer would help it blend?

No one to know one. Now this is a monster of a song. IT IS out of left field compared to the the first three pieces, but I dig it. The singing works pretty well on this one actually.

The closer. Musically I dig it. it has another meaty drumline/hornline syncopation part that is fantastic. More singing, and it reminds me of that old Blondie song where she sort of "raps". It's at this point where I think the singing has overstayed its welcome a bit.

All in all, the show has a LOT of meat, and I fully expect them to be a top 3 contender. It's hard to rate the guard from the video, but the drum line sounds pretty good for early season.

I am looking forward to the premier tonight to compare my initial thoughts.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lanceengland said:

The ballad. I think the singing can be OK. A little pitchy hear and there (better than I could do, to be clear). It is a little "Disney on Ice". I'm not a fan of singing in DCI. The performer is fine. I wonder if a solo horn player playing a similar melody as the singer would help it blend?

I think I can articulate what it is about the ballad that isn't working for me right now.

So, imagine that instead of a singer, a horn soloist is playing the melody at the beginning.  From an effect standpoint, when the big end-of-ballad "power moment" happens, that melody would almost always natural shifts to the ensemble as a whole, giving it a whole new boost in harmonic depth and sound and driving home the emotional impact.

But here, it stays a solo the whole way through, so the emotional lift never gets off the ground.  The full ensemble is playing, yes, but in such a way that they're trying to both have a "power moment" but take care not to over-balance the solo singer at the same time, so what we end up with is just a flat emotional line through the whole section.  The musical "stakes" don't get raised at the end.

I suspect this is an area of the show that will see a few rounds of TLC in design over the course of the season.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cube said:

Today is The Day!

Yes ... IT IS ... :innocent:

• Like 2

Hype! I'll check in after the theater with my definitely biased thoughts. Good luck to all.

• Like 1