Carolina Crown 2017

Send the singer home.   And if they have to have a singer, find one that can sing in tune. 

• Like 6

This might've been mentioned in a previous thread or even this one, but could Crown's show be based off of the infamous saying of "it is what it is?" Just a wild thought that crossed my mind 

Based on the angle of the LOS camera feed, they might need to figure out something to do with the parked stages behind the pit for the first 80% of the show.  It won't be that obvious in smaller stadiums, but in the big ones, they're just... there.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Based on the angle of the LOS camera feed, they might need to figure out something to do with the parked stages behind the pit for the first 80% of the show.  It won't be that obvious in smaller stadiums, but in the big ones, they're just... there.

Mike

The use of those platforms (and the singer too - so far) lack integration into the show... what's the point of having elements that sit (or hide) for most of the show only to appear (or be drug out) for one number and then pushed aside (or duck behind a bass drum)_ never to bee seen (or used) again... reminds me of the percussion feature and the trampolines in the OOTW which should have been trashed before they ever started.

There's a lot of talk about the vocalist..  I'll state right up front, that It grated on me..  but as a former professional vocalist myself, I will say that she has a VERY difficult set of circumstances to overcome, and I don't think she's going to be able to do it.  She has decent tone, sometimes, but is pretty "pitch-y", (which I suspect is partly due to the music not being keyed for her, but for the brass? )   it seemed a bit too low for her to get down into that alto "place" without being sharp.. She could make the high notes, when she belted.  

..  as I've said before in this thread,  there's just too much focus on the vocalist.  She dominates the visual, RIGHT on the 50, all the time.  I would have loved it if she had just hit the first phrase of "For Good"  and then let the brass take the duet from there.  After "For Good"  I was just lost.  Sorry, I'm rambling, but I just didn't get it!  I couldn't focus on the brass, percussion, or guard, because all I could do, was cringe for her, every time she missed a note...  I have NO disrespect for her as a performer,  she has an incredibly tough task..  but if you're going to perform a song that's THAT well known,   your vocalist better be able to crush it!

:( Crown... 

.... also,  did anyone else's theater "erupt" when Jeff Sacktig responded to a question about what it's like working with a corps other than The Cadets, and he said "well, it's refreshing,  let's just leave it at that"   ?    I rather enjoyed the reaction in the audience..  

Edited by mellojay84
  • Like 7

Crown, I’ll give you a fuller review after I see you live this weekend but the shot gun; yeah, ballad to end needs help. The same voice for the different musical styles won’t ever work; if you must keep it all then get another vocalist. You are missing a ton of opportunities with deconstructing the field, you’ve left a lot of points on the ‘field’. The vertical lines on the drums, the uniforms and then crooked lines on the field, what’s wrong with that? You should know

• Like 1