Carolina Crown 2017

11 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

From what I've been told - the staging isn't complete and there are things thyat will be done to make her look less out of place. It's easy to criticize now, but let the show take shape. 

As for the name calling (Judy Jetson) is that really necessary? The performers read these boards too and I'm sure they don't appreciate it. If you have an issue with the design team, take it out of them. But have some respect for the performers who spend 12 hours a day in the hot sun practicing to perform for YOU. There is absolutely no justification or excuse for it, period.

Good points!

Let's also not forget, these young adults are PAYING plenty to participate. Amounts well beyond just tuition. Then, for some, a loss of typical summer wages! 

As for Crown, I do believe the amount of singing will be reduced before August. Sooner, if the issue makes it's way to the judges tapes in way perceived as negative.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

From what I've been told - the staging isn't complete and there are things that will be done to make her look less out of place. It's easy to criticize now, but let the show take shape. 

As for the name calling (Judy Jetson) is that really necessary? The performers read these boards too and I'm sure they don't appreciate it. If you have an issue with the design team, take it out on them. But have some respect for the performers who spend 12 hours a day in the hot sun practicing to perform for YOU. There is absolutely no justification or excuse for it, period.

Fair points, but I assure you the members have more to worry about than what fans say on here. I doubt, at this time of the year, many members are spending the very limited free time reading these boards. Staff's often tell their members to stay away from here - with good reason.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Moorekb98 said:

The first show of the year is always hard to judge. I thought E=mc2 was bad at first, but they won. Singing kind of catches you off guard this year. I'm sure the whole thing will eventually make sense.

posted from the DrumScorps app

You thought E=mc2 was bad at first? I saw the very first and second shows in 2013 and E=mc2 was brilliant right out of the gate. It was BY FAR the favorite show at Stanford that year. By far.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mellojay84 said:

There's a lot of talk about the vocalist..  I'll state right up front, that It grated on me..  but as a former professional vocalist myself, I will say that she has a VERY difficult set of circumstances to overcome, and I don't think she's going to be able to do it.  She has decent tone, sometimes, but is pretty "pitch-y", (which I suspect is partly due to the music not being keyed for her, but for the brass? )   it seemed a bit too low for her to get down into that alto "place" without being sharp.. She could make the high notes, when she belted.  

..  as I've said before in this thread,  there's just too much focus on the vocalist.  She dominates the visual, RIGHT on the 50, all the time.  I would have loved it if she had just hit the first phrase of "For Good"  and then let the brass take the duet from there.  After "For Good"  I was just lost.  Sorry, I'm rambling, but I just didn't get it!  I couldn't focus on the brass, percussion, or guard, because all I could do, was cringe for her, every time she missed a note...  I have NO disrespect for her as a performer,  she has an incredibly tough task..  but if you're going to perform a song that's THAT well known,   your vocalist better be able to crush it!

:( Crown... 

You perfectly stated what I've been trying to since I saw the preview show. Just way too much singing. If they must have the singer, I wish they would have her sing the first verse of "For Good" and then stop. I don't like her being front and center for so long. Crown has the best horn line - why should they have to compete with the vocalist? Personally, I'd rather hear a great horn solo instead of a vocal solo - like the one from "Inferno". I'm not completely anti-vocals/voice-overs, but in moderation. I'm not a purist, but I still want to see and hear drums and "bugles" primarily. Crown's soloist is too much. And don't even get me started on the Cadets 8-piece choir singing for the ENTIRE show!

• Like 3

Just throwing this out there (and in the end, will probably regret doing so):  Could it be that the show designers thought that at this transitional part of the show, it's the LYRICS of the song and not just the melody that bridges between the 2 halves of the show?  Maybe that's why they wanted to have a vocalist and not an instrumentalist performing this piece.

Sure, most of us are familiar with Wicked and know this tune; fewer probably know all the words.  For me, it's hearing those lyrics that sets up the rest of the show, something IMO even a superb mello/bari solo could not convey.  Music speaks to the heart; lyrics speak to the mind.  And I believe they want you thinking about what has come before and what you will next experience.

I've said my peace and I'll go now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Just throwing this out there (and in the end, will probably regret doing so):  Could it be that the show designers thought that at this transitional part of the show, it's the LYRICS of the song and not just the melody that bridges between the 2 halves of the show?  Maybe that's why they wanted to have a vocalist and not an instrumentalist performing this piece.

Sure, most of us are familiar with Wicked and know this tune; fewer probably know all the words.  For me, it's hearing those lyrics that sets up the rest of the show, something IMO even a superb mello/bari solo could not convey.  Music speaks to the heart; lyrics speak to the mind.  And I believe they want you thinking about what has come before and what you will next experience.

I believe this is exactly what is happening!  The fact that people are talking about it so much and not liking it or really liking it is what it is supposed to be doing.  It is the bridge between the traditional drum corps (old school).  Was is For Good?  Is it Not For Good?   Then the new age of the closer of No One (which is going to continue to evolve all summer) where the vocalist is singing about losing direction and not sure where she is going.  How will drum corps continue on?  New direction like Bluecoats or are we going to stay with some of the old school For Good?  Should people want drum corps to be the first half of Crown's show which is traditional or should they really like a new direction that many in the activity are starting to take and which Crown is trying to emphasis in the second half of their production?

Edited by CubFan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Something I haven't seen beaten to death.  Question.   Was it me or did the uniform make the drill really hard to read?  They're like a shade to light or a shade too dark and I had a hard time reading the drill last night.  

Yep.  I wanted to see some Sacktig drill from the hi cam.  Frustrating.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

So here's a question: in a such an abstract show, why be so literal? The lyrics are literally saying what they're trying to convey, but the vocals themselves are getting a lot of people hot and bothered. 

Couldnt they have found a more innovative way to convey this "changed and here to stay" mentality through drill and music WITHOUT having to lean on spoonfeeding it to the audience via lyrics? I usually have to say this to the Cadets, not Crown, but some nuance would be nice.