Carolina Crown 2017

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

So here's a question: in a such an abstract show, why be so literal? The lyrics are literally saying what they're trying to convey, but the vocals themselves are getting a lot of people hot and bothered. 

Couldnt they have found a more innovative way to convey this "changed and here to stay" mentality through drill and music WITHOUT having to lean on spoonfeeding it to the audience via lyrics? I usually have to say this to the Cadets, not Crown, but some nuance would be nice. 

I understand what you are saying and, at this time, I don't have an answer.  Something to think about.

7 hours ago, MingoLeger said:

You perfectly stated what I've been trying to since I saw the preview show. Just way too much singing. If they must have the singer, I wish they would have her sing the first verse of "For Good" and then stop. I don't like her being front and center for so long. Crown has the best horn line - why should they have to compete with the vocalist? Personally, I'd rather hear a great horn solo instead of a vocal solo - like the one from "Inferno". I'm not completely anti-vocals/voice-overs, but in moderation. I'm not a purist, but I still want to see and hear drums and "bugles" primarily. Crown's soloist is too much. And don't even get me started on the Cadets 8-piece choir singing for the ENTIRE show!

^^^ This. 

8 hours ago, MingoLeger said:

You perfectly stated what I've been trying to since I saw the preview show. Just way too much singing. If they must have the singer, I wish they would have her sing the first verse of "For Good" and then stop. I don't like her being front and center for so long. Crown has the best horn line - why should they have to compete with the vocalist? Personally, I'd rather hear a great horn solo instead of a vocal solo - like the one from "Inferno". I'm not completely anti-vocals/voice-overs, but in moderation. I'm not a purist, but I still want to see and hear drums and "bugles" primarily. Crown's soloist is too much. And don't even get me started on the Cadets 8-piece choir singing for the ENTIRE show!

I feel the difference betweens Cadets and Crown was that I felt Cadets had the choir better interwoven into the show where as I felt the crown vocalist controlled the sound of the ensemble for the second half of the show.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Good points!

Let's also not forget, these young adults are PAYING plenty to participate. Amounts well beyond just tuition. Then, for some, a loss of typical summer wages! 

As for Crown, I do believe the amount of singing will be reduced before August. Sooner, if the issue makes it's way to the judges tapes in way perceived as negative.

No one these days is immune to criticism...just ask our president...I paid MY way as well when I marched...besides it builds character..tough love...that is sometimes necessary...stop acting like these young adults are a bunch of delicate snowflakes...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Here's a thought.

Maybe they're spoonfeeding it to us because so many complained last year about not being able to find the storyline after the opener? 

It's time to decide. Do you want it spoon fed to you or do you want to work to understand the show? You can't have it both ways people. :lol:

34 minutes ago, Liahona said:

No one these days is immune to criticism...just ask our president...I paid MY way as well when I marched...besides it builds character..tough love...that is sometimes necessary...stop acting like these young adults are a bunch of delicate snowflakes...

So you're condoning the "name calling"? That's mighty of ya. 

In all seriousness, stop with the name calling and putting the soloist down. Or at least say some constructive criticism instead of the blunt "you suck" mentality that the majority seems to be putting out. 

I for one think she is very talented, being a singer myself and minoring in music performance vocal. Is she pitch? Yes. Nobody has perfect pitch without autotune (and if they added that in y'all would complain about that). Has she ever performed in a stadium venue be it NFL or high school? Probably not unless it was the national anthem which she probably performed inside the press box of her high school stadium. She's working just as hard as the instrumental musicians and guard,  if not harder simply to overcome her short comings. The season just started people. Give her a chance. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Criticism is one thing, but it can be done respectfully without lobbing insults. Name calling degrades the entire conversation and makes the person doing look like and absolutely moron. 

And as the father of an autistic son that has been the subject of name calling and bullying I do not condone it, regardless of the name. As mentioned earlier, there is absolutely ZERO justification of it, regardless of the intent or purpose. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 7

Another thing people are forgetting is that she is a musician who plays the mello, so maybe crown might have her play for the ballad instead, it's all a waiting game. A lot of people have no patience 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

By the way, I come here to get away from politics and the real world, so please if you could, take the president and snowflake comments elsewhere. I'm sure there are other message boards that would love that, but this is the last place I think any of us want that kind of crap. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 3