Carolina Crown 2017

After the Premiere I though "this just might be my favorite show" and as they've added (and taken away) and layered and changed, that's getting more and more likely. Even though it's not the popular opinion I love the show. Can't wait to see them this Saturday.

• Like 9

Thanks for the update, as I appreciate your perspective. 

I saw a recent clip of them from this weekend and the drill and music are very well written and more complex than most corps this year (I'm not taking away anything from any other Corps as there are some amazing shows this year).  I think Crown has taken a lot of heat this season as they decided to do a complex intellectual show and took a huge risks with the singer, of which I have somewhat agreed with until this weekend.  I am hopeful that the new layers and a lot of cleaning can earn this show a gold medal. 

Please update us again if you make it out to their practice tomorrow.

• Like 3

So I've watched the show online a few times and not sure if this has been brought up in the past pages. It seems that side 1 gets more raised and scattered sidelines than side 2. I think the drill kind of alludes to side 1 being the more 'deconstructionist' theme, i.e. the straight company front that turns into the wave form on side 1 a few times. And then they finish the show with more percussion 'islands' on side 1 with the drill centered on side 2 during the fugue reprise. Has anyone else commented on this or heard the viewpoint from the drill/design team? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. 

• Like 4

Just now, palmettomello said:

So I've watched the show online a few times and not sure if this has been brought up in the past pages. It seems that side 1 gets more raised and scattered sidelines than side 2. I think the drill kind of alludes to side 1 being the more 'deconstructionist' theme, i.e. the straight company front that turns into the wave form on side 1 a few times. And then they finish the show with more percussion 'islands' on side 1 with the drill centered on side 2 during the fugue reprise. Has anyone else commented on this or heard the viewpoint from the drill/design team? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. 

good observations.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

This is straight from the show description:

Ultimately, as any “art experience” can do, the program allows the freedom of interpretation from a wide-ranging audience, and can leave different impressions to different viewers in different viewings.

All I'm trying to say is there isn't a right or wrong answer to what you specifically point out. It's not like most shows, where specific things are put into the show for one meaning only. An example I can think of is the Cadets ending to their Christmas show with the Crown and the fish. Those drill forms were specific references to Christmas. This show doesn't have that kind of stuff in it. It leaves things up for you to come up with what you think it is. Just one example is the drill form in the opener. Is it a Crown? Or maybe two Crowns with the guard making a mirror image of the hornline and drum line as the gem? Or maybe it's just a cool form that Jeff liked and worked with what he had set up for the next few sets...

I don't think anyone has made those same observations you made on here yet, but I only keep up with a couple threads on here so I'm not a good person to ask about that. Love your ideas though! They make sense to me if that's worth anything lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

Just got done watching tonight's run, and holy heck that closer is just amazing. They've added some layers, changed a few things (nothing big) and added some additional loud notes for the hornline. Particularly noticeable now is how clean the drill has become in the last 60 seconds or so. Yeah I'm a homer, but I honestly think the closer is what's going to make or break this show and the layers they're adding are working.

I really had my doubts about this show three weeks ago, but it's grown on me and I honestly believe it can compete for a title. 

I think the singing is too much, but the show is growing on me a bit.  I like the closer, but it leaves me thinking, I wish there were more of it.  It just seems to end a little too abruptly.  

• Like 1

I saw a really good video from this weekend and the show is night and day better than it was 3 weeks ago. Kudos to the marching members and staff.   Most notably for me, is how impressive the drill writing is.  Job well done Jeff Sacktig, as his new drill writing is a breath of fresh air that Crown needed visually.  I am by no means knocking the prior drill designer, but this years drill is great from a high view.  I personally think Crown, SCV, and BAC (this is expected since he is the former Crown writer) have the best drill on the field this season.  

With that said, if I could speak to the design staff, I would make the following suggestions:

1) pump up more energy and excitement in part IV(no one to know one)

2) create 2 or more big color guard moments that make you gasp.  The opportunity in the ballad is ripe, as the current cg writing in this section is a little messy and or choppy

3)  add 3 or more big visual and GE moments (e.g. Crown ending set, 3-D drill moment, more dancing/body movements, bring the signer up on the drum major podium during the "I Know You" moment and have her conduct the last few bars of the show).

I am really looking forward to watching this show develop and build over the rest of the season.

To the entire Crown Organization- Keep Pounding and striving to be the best!

• Like 3

You guys are probably gonna be seeing me some more in this thread...for better or worse....I had no idea, but Crown's gonna be *relatively* near me this weekend.  I'm probably gonna make the drive out that day and go check it out.  I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT to see that hornline in person.  

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

You guys are probably gonna be seeing me some more in this thread...for better or worse....I had no idea, but Crown's gonna be *relatively* near me this weekend.  I'm probably gonna make the drive out that day and go check it out.  I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT to see that hornline in person.  

Whether you like the show or not, there is no denying how incredible and powerful that hornline is. Enjoy and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

If you're talking about the nky show, only seats left are lower stadium. There were still some relatively close to the 50 about 12 hours ago when my friend got his seats. 

Weather also looks to be in our favor. Local weather channels are calling for a high of 85 and low of 67. Mostly sunny, 10% chance of rain earlier in the day. 

Edited by UKSuperman