Carolina Crown 2017

6 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Saw the video from the Crown Clinic.   Crown does these clinics every year.   No one gets the fando response like Crown.   The kid's appreciation so sincere, it's very heartwaming to see.    These events create lifetime memories.    Congrats to Crown for doing these!

Crown does a TERRIFIC job with outreach. Their relationships in the band world - especially BOA in Indiana and the south east - are an example for other organizations

• Like 2

Okay, just got home from the show. Some thoughts and observations. 

Crown is absolutely phenomenal and is making a serious run for the title! Earlier on at rehearsal I thought things were going to head in a completely different direction. There were guard drops at every stopping point and they were well addressed. They were even told that they were "letting everyone down". There were some step off issues, as well as people missing some visuals. 

Well, they definitely looked different tonight. Didn't notice any guard drops (forgive me if there were any). The brass absolutely slaughtered it. The percussion sound massively improved over the years and might be the best line they've ever had (this coming from a brass/woodwind guy so take it with a grain of salt). The yardlines were pretty well hidden with the planks which also blended in real well with the color of the turf. Only issue I noticed was the tarp, which didn't seem to want to unravel tonight (which worked beautifully during rehearsal). 

Now, to the people who hate the soloist, y'all are absolutely crazy. She was gorgeous tonight as well as in rehearsal. The balance is a lot better in person, and I would even put it above Bostons soloist (who ends up getting lost most of the time in the brass). She's really starting to come into her own and her arm movements look a little more controlled and choreographed. 

To all the nay sayers, I've got one thing to say. Boston isn't the only ones eating 'em up. Carolina Crown is hungry. 

• Like 5

Just now, Kevin. said:

how do they determine those?

Scores from tonight. Devils, Scv, and Crown got the three highest scores so they draw for the last three spots. So on and so forth for everyone else in groups of three.

• Like 1

Thanks!  Seems strange to do it that way since you really can't compare scores across competitions.  I get that its difficult to have all the corps in the same place prior to San Antonio though. Tough break for Bloo, but I'm sure they'll be fine. 

26 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

Thanks!  Seems strange to do it that way since you really can't compare scores across competitions.  I get that its difficult to have all the corps in the same place prior to San Antonio though. Tough break for Bloo, but I'm sure they'll be fine. 

While that is technically true, you can get a better idea of placement in comparison to different competitions with trained judges. If they use what they were taught in training,  then they should all be following the same format. 

2 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

Now, to the people who hate the soloist, y'all are absolutely crazy. She was gorgeous tonight as well as in rehearsal. The balance is a lot better in person, and I would even put it above Bostons soloist (who ends up getting lost most of the time in the brass). She's really starting to come into her own and her arm movements look a little more controlled and choreographed. 

There's a select, and weird, few who hate the soloist for her voice. I don't fall in that category, she's super talented and has great pipes

I just hate the way she's used. If that makes me crazy so be it. Im also not a fan of the "No One to Know" section moreso than anything else. Probably because I don't like the source music either. I just find the voice part in that song to be extremely annoying. The rest of the show is growing on me slightly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

Okay, just got home from the show. Some thoughts and observations. 

Crown is absolutely phenomenal and is making a serious run for the title! Earlier on at rehearsal I thought things were going to head in a completely different direction. There were guard drops at every stopping point and they were well addressed. They were even told that they were "letting everyone down". There were some step off issues, as well as people missing some visuals. 

Well, they definitely looked different tonight. Didn't notice any guard drops (forgive me if there were any). The brass absolutely slaughtered it. The percussion sound massively improved over the years and might be the best line they've ever had (this coming from a brass/woodwind guy so take it with a grain of salt). The yardlines were pretty well hidden with the planks which also blended in real well with the color of the turf. Only issue I noticed was the tarp, which didn't seem to want to unravel tonight (which worked beautifully during rehearsal). 

To all the nay sayers, I've got one thing to say. Boston isn't the only ones eating 'em up. Carolina Crown is hungry. 

That last paragraph though!..can you be my hype man when i work out? :laughing:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

There's a select, and weird, few who hate the soloist for her voice. I don't fall in that category, she's super talented and has great pipes

I just hate the way she's used. If that makes me crazy so be it. Im also not a fan of the "No One to Know" section moreso than anything else. Probably because I don't like the source music either. I just find the voice part in that song to be extremely annoying. The rest of the show is growing on me slightly. 

I don't hate this soloist.

I generally hate all singers in drum corps. It's like finger nails on a chalkboard to me.

• Like 2