Carolina Crown 2017

I'm still on the fence, and have done a 180 - I'm liking the back half of the show more than I originally did, and the first half just feels like something I've got to sit through to get to it. I'm hoping all that changes, once I finally get to see them live. They're certainly performing the hell out of it.

Edited by dcsnare93

4 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

I'm still on the fence, and have done a 180 - I'm liking the back half of the show more than I originally did, and the first half just feels like something I've got to sit through to get to it. I'm hoping all that changes, once I finally get to see them live. They're certainly performing the hell out of it.

What's encouraging is that it seems to be resonating well with the judges.    I was a little surprised the gap with BAC increased in the show I was at in KY.   As much as I love Crown, BAC has taken their show to a whole new level from the early season.   Now, tonight, it's 2.6 and a very strong GE score.      The good news, we will all be able to see them on the same field beginning tomorrow and then we can toss much of the conjecture out the window!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flguardman said:

To each their own! Art can be whatever you want it to be whether you think it's right or wrong!

Art isn't easy. Every minor detail is a major decision. Have to keep things in scale, have to hold to your vision.

• Like 1

Got back from watching them at Bentonville tonight. They were so awesome. Was right on the 50 near the top so I could see everything. They are so clean. There was a lot more brass parts added from the video I seen of them in Orlando....which were really neat and really enhances the already amazing brass sound. Only one rifle drop. The singing really is less noticeable than the videos I've seen. Which is what is said constantly and I find it accurate. This show is so complicated...it's just rather hard to place them at the moment. I see them again tomorrow at Broken Arrow along with all the rest of the top corps so that should give an indication of how things could go. However...this was the first year at Bentonville where the crowd did rise to their feet before the last note ended. There was a slight pause and then the crowd stood. I think that's mainly because a lot of them didn't really understanding what was going on.  All in all they've got a chance to win the title...though I'm a bit biased I suppose. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, msumello said:

Got back from watching them at Bentonville tonight. They were so awesome. Was right on the 50 near the top so I could see everything. They are so clean. There was a lot more brass parts added from the video I seen of them in Orlando....which were really neat and really enhances the already amazing brass sound. Only one rifle drop. The singing really is less noticeable than the videos I've seen. Which is what is said constantly and I find it accurate. This show is so complicated...it's just rather hard to place them at the moment. I see them again tomorrow at Broken Arrow along with all the rest of the top corps so that should give an indication of how things could go. However...this was the first year at Bentonville where the crowd did rise to their feet before the last note ended. There was a slight pause and then the crowd stood. I think that's mainly because a lot of them didn't really understanding what was going on.  All in all they've got a chance to win the title...though I'm a bit biased I suppose. 

I think that ending reprise section is a bit too brief right now (especially with the pushed tempo), but the final ending will definitely milk it all a lot more and have audiences up before the end. They have to really work more on connecting with the crowd and selling the show though, that's their biggest hurdle at this point. They have the talent and vehicle to push all the way to another ring. 

3 minutes ago, defeldus2 said:

I think that ending reprise section is a bit too brief right now (especially with the pushed tempo), but the final ending will definitely milk it all a lot more and have audiences up before the end. They have to really work more on connecting with the crowd and selling the show though, that's their biggest hurdle at this point. They have the talent and vehicle to push all the way to another ring. 

Yeah...they've gotta add more to the end...they don't really stop adding thing until about a week before finals I think....

18 hours ago, pudding said:

This is the definition of art that best applies to personal appreciation of artistic work; in other words, it's totally fine for an individual to like or not like any given thing as art, and they do not need to justify their artistic experience to anyone except themselves.

However, many artistic expressions, such as performance art like drum corps, require a connection between the artist(s) and the observer(s). In this case, the artists are the show designers, and the observers are the judges and the audience (the performers are also artists, but not in the sense of show design. Their artistry is much more in the realm of experiential art). In this type of art, the artist is required to communicate an idea to the observer, and needs to do so in a common language. If the artist decides to use a label for their art, then they must use a common definition for that label. Since Crown's designers chose to use "Deconstruction" as their artistic label, they must follow the rules of Deconstruction.

Sigh...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, pudding said:

On the flip side, we have people who will defend anything their home team does, regardless of its flaw or drawbacks.

I'm as big a fan of Crown as anyone (2008, 2009, and 2013 are some of my favorite shows), but I'm also not afraid to call a spade a spade and call out problems when I see them. I'll also call out Spirit of Atlanta and the Bluecoats when they have problems, even though I performed with those groups, because that's what it means to be critical fan instead of a blind fanatic.

Blind fanatic or actually understanding what they're going for? I believe I'm the latter. Deconstruct, disconnect. Complain all you want, but the judges are getting it.  

• Like 2