Carolina Crown 2017

14 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Forgive me if this has been addressed before in regards to the vocals. I have been trying to figure out what about the vocalist bothers me. It finally hit me. After the music has been recorded,  it gets mixed and mastered. Long story short, there are different steps in the mixing and mastering that brings the music to sound the way we hear it over the radio or via own music devices. When using electronics, whether it's keyboards/synths, drum pads or samples. The sounds have all gone through some of the aforementioned processes. And of course, the user can further adjust them as well. Bluecoats have demonstrated successlly the last few season when using electronics seamlessly with the corps. It doesn't seem out of place. Phantom Regiment 2010 made IMHO, great use of it with Roland Drum Pads to during the opener. Simulating a Taiko drum or something similar.

To bring home my point, the issue with live vocals:

Cavies come to mind when using sample vocals effectively with their Mad World show intro, sounded great. BD has been doing so the last few seasons, this year with the Rihanna sample. When using live vocals, it's not comparable to a sampled vocal that has gone through the aforementioned process. It seems out of place. Recordings sound the way they do (Auto-Tuning a big factor) due to tons of takes, one picks and chooses the best parts. Can't do so with live vocals. One could argue that it makes it more authentic, that sampling a vocal is a faux pas.

However, live vocals in drum corps to me will sound out of place. The ballad makes sense to use it even after what I stated, but Crown should perhaps lean on sampling her vocals or use original source for sampling the 3rd movement etc. Your thoughts?

I guess you could just as well say that live brass playing is never going to sound like a brass sample picked from dozens of takes with a bunch of effects applied. Nevertheless, most of us would be pretty dissatisfied if a corps played pre-recorded brass. DCI is a performance activity. IMO, if you want to use singing as part of your show, you should bring a singer to perform it.

In regards to Crown's vocalist, like others have said, I think that she is a good stylistic match for For Good, but not such a good match for N12K1 - in the original the voice is much thinner/breathier so it works better as a quasi-percussion instrument.

One thing I like about this years uniform is how well the contrasting white strip on their pant leg shows off. I really adds to the visual effect and makes them really look clean while marching. 

Edited by Highwaydude
  • Like 1

My only opinion regarding electronics:  Does the show make sense if power fails and generators are empty? 

42 minutes ago, lameisrob said:

My only opinion regarding electronics:  Does the show make sense if power fails and generators are empty? 

Yes. The visuals still tell a good enough story for the average fan to still get the point of the show. Just curious, is that your argument against electronics?

• Like 1

Does anybody need a ticket for nightbeat?   I might have an extra one, its a really really good seat in the skybox club level.  ticket includes dinner too.  I will know for sure in a couple days if my friend can't come.  PM me if interested and I will get back to you in a couple days.   I'm out of the country now and won't be checking back here for a couple days. 

6 hours ago, lameisrob said:

My thinking is the opposite... if the show works without the electronics (meaning you don't need them one bit), then why have the electronics in the first place?

55 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

My thinking is the opposite... if the show works without the electronics (meaning you don't need them one bit), then why have the electronics in the first place?

I don't necessarily disagree with your thinking but just because a show works without electronics doesn't mean that the use of electronics can't further enhance it. The gap between a show "working" without electronics and "not needing them one bit" is a substantial one, IMO.

• Like 2

Nice to see GE Music taking top spot tonight.    Overall GE within .3 of BD.   That is extremely encouraging.   The key from here on out will be the visual.   Judges seem to be digging the GE Music side of the sheets (including vocal).  Everything is within striking distance with the exception of viz and guard.   I'm sure they're going to continue to work their tails off to tighten those areas up.   If they do - and  I believe they will - this show can compete for the top spot by the time all is said and done.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 3