Carolina Crown 2017

I, personally, feel that one of the reasons that the guard isn't scoring as high as some other units is that their weapons do not have as many large ensemble tosses/moments that are really exposed. A lot of the 6's and 7's are rippled, like in the opener. They really need more WOW moments. The ballad lacking equipment entirely doesn't really help either. I remember the 2016 show during Hallelujah there were some huge tosses that were really exposed and integrated in the kneeling brass form. That opener during Madea paired with the closing reprise having the entire guard on the rifle feature was also quite impressive. I understand it's the caption head's first year with the program but it is unfortunate that the rest of the corps is scoring so well on the sheets. Like others, the green uniforms blending into the field doesn't help highlight the section and work either. Other things aren't always reading that well from far away, like work using pieces of the broken rifles. It isn't always about if there were drops, but the content of the work and difficultly in executing it within the ensemble. Really hope in the years to come that Sacktig and the guard staff work together more with the staging of the guard as well.

• Like 2

Apparently Crown had a new ending tonight at the Chester TOC Show. Anyone have any insight into that?

34 minutes ago, CrownedSantaPhantom said:

Apparently Crown had a new ending tonight at the Chester TOC Show. Anyone have any insight into that?

"New ending" is giving it too much credit. They run into a scatter drill circle with the singer in the middle while the percussion plays. That's how the show ends. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2017 at 1:48 PM, UKSuperman said:

There has to be something they can do. Regardless of their confidence or lack there of, I know plenty of high schools who have about the same difficulty of work and don't have the confidence but perform without dropping. There's something they can do, dont know what, but hopefully they can figure it out soon. Part of it may be the uniforms, but the uniforms aren't going to cause that big of a drop. 

You seem pretty upset about this, but if it makes you feel any better their 2014 guard had an off year and were never clean and placed around 5th all year. Techs ran reps after shows in August and they placed 3rd on finals night. Not saying it will happen.

2 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

"New ending" is giving it too much credit. They run into a scatter drill circle with the singer in the middle while the percussion plays. That's how the show ends. 

I'm assuming this is to build on the deconstruction theme? Maybe? 

The new ending is, in a word, garbage. You have this fantastic final chord, you break down the Crown into a pseudo-scatter, everyone stands up and claps, drum major salutes. Then the brass puts their horns down, the drums start playing, and the horns wind their way to some kind of BD-esque circle, and they elevate someone (I think the vocalist, can't quite remember) into the air. And then that's it. I sort of get the idea of "playing after the show is over", but it's just so, so poorly executed that I can't possibly give it any credit. 

• Like 2

No Crown set? I don't know what to believe in anymore...

Also, I find it absolutely abhorrent that Crown is not being penalized in Music Analysis for their first minute of music. Bach, especially a fugue, needs to be absolutely perfectly aligned vertically, but there is tearing between the first brass pod and the marimbas, the second brass pod and the vibraphones, and the first brass pod and the second brass pod, and it only gets fixed when the drumline enters with the third brass pod. It's BACH; a Music Analysis judge has no business letting those things slide when they would disqualify you from passing your freshman jury in any conservatory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pudding said:

Also, I find it absolutely abhorrent that Crown is not being penalized in Music Analysis for their first minute of music. Bach, especially a fugue, needs to be absolutely perfectly aligned vertically, but there is tearing between the first brass pod and the marimbas, the second brass pod and the vibraphones, and the first brass pod and the second brass pod, and it only gets fixed when the drumline enters with the third brass pod. It's BACH; a Music Analysis judge has no business letting those things slide when they would disqualify you from passing your freshman jury in any conservatory.

You make it sound like it happens every time.  Didn't happen in ATL.

• Like 1