Carolina Crown 2017

1 minute ago, wigwam said:

Do you think this years show really plays to the audience?   I've seen them twice in person, and the show has left most of the audience scratching their heads.  The performance level is awesome, but the show design seems flawed, and the changes are making it worse.  Just my opinion of course. 

I think the first two numbers do, but N1TK1 is a very tough sell and I think that's where they have issues. The first two songs are classic Crown.

• Like 4

They are not in panic mode!  The last set of changes to the ending have been planned all year but can't be put in until they get to Indy!  If you don't like the finished product in Indy, not much can be said but it isn't done and may leave you scratching your head right now and that is by design!

• Like 4

Just now, CubFan said:

They are not in panic mode!  The last set of changes to the ending have been planned all year but can't be put in until they get to Indy!  If you don't like the finished product in Indy, not much can be said but it isn't done and may leave you scratching your head right now and that is by design!

Sure hope so. I really do enjoy this show, think the only reason I have a problem with it is because I've enjoyed other Crown shows SO much more, so it just feels different to me I suppose. Their performing abilities completely make up for a theme that doesn't necessarily speak to me, and that's something I can't say for a lot of other shows. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, CubFan said:

Ok thanks for the insight, I feel better already.   

• Like 1

So yet another "new" ending... or are they slowly revealing the actual ending?

At least/last they got rid of that football helmet banner/tarp...

My guess is the MM grouping at the end with "Judy Jetson" on top will be a crown....

even if that is the case - the ending seems a bit lackluster... and the A-town crowd certainly didn't go wild.

Edited by ashevillemurphy

Im so proud of Crown percussion.  I made some VERY negative comments very early in this threads life about them.  I couldnt be prouder of what theyve become this year, I really hope they keep it up.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Im so proud of Crown percussion.  I made some VERY negative comments very early in this threads life about them.  I couldnt be prouder of what theyve become this year, I really hope they keep it up.

I agree, I'm more proud of the whole corps for taking a risk and not being afraid of going a different route negative or positive, but still remembering who they are. With all the negative that's been hurdled at them these kids are amazing and keep at it no matter what!! They are living their drum corps history and I know they're proud of themselves for their accomplishments! 

• Like 4

Tonight they were on fire, you could feel the energy.  Brass was unbelievable, first place and it wasn't even close. 

The music is great and the drill is awesome.  I even sort of like the singing now, they seem to have integrated it better. 

However, the show concept.....  deconstruction?   It just seems so pointless.        

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wigwam said:

Tonight they were on fire, you could feel the energy.  Brass was unbelievable, first place and it wasn't even close. 

The music is great and the drill is awesome.  I even sort of like the singing now, they seem to have integrated it better. 

However, the show concept.....  deconstruction?   It just seems so pointless.        

This is a significant point of mine. There is nothing deconstructive about it. It is not musically deconstructive at all. Twisting music a little differently has been a staple in drum corps for years. Such twists do not constitute deconstruction. I find the show boring except for the final number because it fits the deconstructive theme the most, although the avant garde genre would have been great in this show. The members perform this show fantastically, but no thanks. The vocalist is good. There's nothing wrong with vocals. Don't need them in half of the show. I don't think. My point is that if one looks at some of the musical history of drum corps I'm not sure how one could justify this show as musically deconstructive. I'm thrilled for the percussion line that will likely reach the best score they have since 2009, if one can believe this. Brass, of course, is just at the top of the game having the best hornline in DCI, but man this show concept is less than stellar. 

• Like 1