Carolina Crown 2017

14 hours ago, CubFan said:

They are not in panic mode!  The last set of changes to the ending have been planned all year but can't be put in until they get to Indy!  If you don't like the finished product in Indy, not much can be said but it isn't done and may leave you scratching your head right now and that is by design!

Thank goodness, because scratching our heads is exactly what all of us watching were doing last night. We all thought that can't possibly be THE ending, can it?

The ending did not feel like an ending - you have to bring the hammer down! It's not how you begin, it's how you end the musical journey that gets remembered!

C mon Crown - make an ending that gets people out of their seats!

14 minutes ago, Corps_Efan said:

The ending did not feel like an ending - you have to bring the hammer down! It's not how you begin, it's how you end the musical journey that gets remembered!

Not a fan of soft endings, false endings as such.   Once in a blue moon, I kind of dig them.   One of the best endings with percussion was Bluecoats in 2014 before they changed the end.      

As for Crown, to contradict what I just wrote, I sort of like the percussion ending.  It's somewhat of a statement - we're Crown PERCUSSION and we're pretty flipping good - take that!   CrownBRASS has already solidified the Ott this year.  Crown's percussion has been underrated for that past couple of years.    Good for them!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Corps_Efan said:

I saw Crown at NightBEAT. Can't for the life of me figure out why they feature all that singing. You have the best hornline. Powerful, powerful sound and balance and you're featuring solo vocals. I don't get it.  Let that hornline do its thing. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

I saw Crown at NightBEAT. Can't for the life of me figure out why they feature all that singing. You have the best hornline. Powerful, powerful sound and balance and you're featuring solo vocals. I don't get it.  Let that hornline do its thing. 

The hornline does its thing any time she isn't singing.

1 hour ago, mboogey73 said:

1 hour ago, Corps_Efan said:

Hopefully the next new ending will be better than the current new ending, which is even worse than the last new ending. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Not a fan of soft endings, false endings as such.   Once in a blue moon, I kind of dig them.   One of the best endings with percussion was Bluecoats in 2014 before they changed the end.      

As for Crown, to contradict what I just wrote, I sort of like the percussion ending.  It's somewhat of a statement - we're Crown PERCUSSION and we're pretty flipping good - take that!   CrownBRASS has already solidified the Ott this year.  Crown's percussion has been underrated for that past couple of years.    Good for them!

Coats 2014 ending interestingly enough was changed from the drum ending to the fast and loud ending due to fans wanting more after the Pitch Bend... I am glad they did.   Crown's percussion is their best ever...but the hornline MUST finish it!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Just Here said:

This is a significant point of mine. There is nothing deconstructive about it. It is not musically deconstructive at all. Twisting music a little differently has been a staple in drum corps for years. Such twists do not constitute deconstruction. I find the show boring except for the final number because it fits the deconstructive theme the most, although the avant garde genre would have been great in this show. The members perform this show fantastically, but no thanks. The vocalist is good. There's nothing wrong with vocals. Don't need them in half of the show. I don't think. My point is that if one looks at some of the musical history of drum corps I'm not sure how one could justify this show as musically deconstructive. I'm thrilled for the percussion line that will likely reach the best score they have since 2009, if one can believe this. Brass, of course, is just at the top of the game having the best hornline in DCI, but man this show concept is less than stellar. 

The theme and lack of a good visual program will be the big discussion post finals.  Hopefully for 2018 they find a better way to show the top brass talent and not rely on so many gimmicks (too much vocals and props that don't fit).  And it will be interesting to see how many of  the battery members are returning.  

• Like 1

Jeez Crownbrass at least give the other lines a chance :4_joy: @#$% I think we might see perfect brass score #2 and with that improved percussion? Everyone else can kiss music goodbye