Carolina Crown 2017

4 hours ago, Wog said:

On way or another there will be two camps on this show after Saturday... maybe "IT IS" exactly what the designers want...but I for one could go for a little more "traditional" Crown thematically.  

If what they say on the video is true, everything you know about Crown is going to be changing "for good". Expect more of these kinds of shows (and maybe even a part 2 next season). 

Look, you don't need a video to explain the show, but it gives some great insights into the thought process behind the development, why they chose the music they chose, why they're using vocals, etc. It's rare in this activity that you get a peek behind the scenes like this. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wigwam said:

If you need to watch a video to understand it, it's not a good design. 

No, it just means you don't understand it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

If what they say on the video is true, everything you know about Crown is going to be changing "for good". Expect more of these kinds of shows (and maybe even a part 2 next season). 

Look, you don't need a video to explain the show, but it gives some great insights into the thought process behind the development, why they chose the music they chose, why they're using vocals, etc. It's rare in this activity that you get a peek behind the scenes like this. 

It is... Crown!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CubFan said:

Then almost every drum corps has terrible design!  There is a reason that DCI has Michael Boo doing a live blog from regionals!  One of those reasons is to help explain some of these shows!  

Well, I suppose if we think this through on the timing, they could've waited till next Tuesday to make the timing of their splainin' the 2017 shows worse than it is. Its not the worst time to explain the shows before they all go into their off seaaon Cones Of Silence. They did at least wait till there was 4/12 days left in the season to rush somebody out there to do the 'splainin" on some of these more obtuse  2017 shows. So they got that going for themselves anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Expect more of these kinds of shows (and maybe even a part 2 next season). 

I've thought the same thing.    Based on the overwhelming success of "It Is" - particularly with the judging community, I believe that Crown is on to something.  One thing that this corps has proven it can do effectively over the years is to deliver a show that works well for both the judges and fans alike.   In fact, for all the "deconstruction" that Crown has done, including the manner in which they are ending the show now, it would be a shame if they don't carry their current theme into 2018.   As such, I expect CC to be in the mix once again next year.   When the time comes to toss predictions into the hat for next year, Crown would be among my favorites to win.  Crown is in great shape!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, CubFan said:

Then almost every drum corps has terrible design!  There is a reason that DCI has Michael Boo doing a live blog from regionals!  One of those reasons is to help explain some of these shows!  I've been a marching member, a fan, and ultimately a parent in this activity.  Every year it gets harder and harder to understand the concepts that these corps are putting on the field and it takes many viewings and listenings to even come close to understanding what the designers were thinking.  At this stage of drum corps, I wish more corps put these videos out before the season starts so the fans can TRY to appreciate and understand what is going on out there!

If this is truly the case then the audience doesn't matter at all and the ego of the designer does.

• Like 1

Whoa they added effects into the beginning of no one, that actually makes it a lot better!

Edit: they also added a real ending

Edited by cube

3 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Because sequels work so well for Crown... 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Just Here said:

Because we know that IT IS all about the designers. I find it ironic that a show about deconstruction needs to be explained considering some would suggest that if one explains deconstruction then it becomes conventional which then defeats the purpose of it being deconstructive. Let me just say that any show which features a piece that sounds like "Mary had a Little Lamb" is unlikely to find a place in my music library.

Well the judges get the deconstructionism presented as well as many fans, so I'm not sure what else to offer you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so to each its own I suppose.  However, when the Blue Devils or any other corps put out a show that is not easily followed/understood by the fans or liked (e,g. Through a looking glass darkly, etc.), is that show also about the designers?  Technically all shows ever fielded is about the designers in one way or another.