Carolina Crown 2017

If you take away the yard lines doesn't it become like early drum corps with one yard line on the 50. :lle:

• Like 1

Regardless of placing Crown has now got one of the great Drum Corps shows of all time on the field this year. Id love to see them take the Title Saturday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, B-Flat said:

Well the judges get the deconstructionism presented as well as many fans, so I'm not sure what else to offer you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so to each its own I suppose.  However, when the Blue Devils or any other corps put out a show that is not easily followed/understood by the fans or liked (e,g. Through a looking glass darkly, etc.), is that show also about the designers?  Technically all shows ever fielded is about the designers in one way or another. 

I'm not sure how this response addresses what I said. There are three primary things I am challenging in the concept of Crown's show this year. First, it is not a show about deconstruction musically. They would not dare jeopardize a stellar brass line by placing music that could be considered formally deconstructive. Second, and this is directed specifically at my comment that you copied, deconstruction by definition in non-conventional. To be deconstructive is in many sense to be non-explanatory because the more you explain, the more conventional one becomes. Third, deconstruction is a formally marginal concept that does not easily assimilate into mainstream culture by and large. Therefore, it is not likely to be appealed to by the culture at large. These presuppositions lead me to the conclusion that the goal of this show was to be exclusive rather than inclusive in its approach, meaning that it seems more about ego than an attempt to reach the average audience member.

Edited by Just Here
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, B-Flat said:

However, when the Blue Devils or any other corps put out a show that is not easily followed/understood by the fans or liked (e,g. Through a looking glass darkly, etc.), is that show also about the designers?  

The the thing that gets me about Crown in this context is that it sorta flies in the face of what was explained to me many years ago from a staffer (I don't remember the name) at the reception before NightBEAT... that Crown was always trying to connect with the audience and is a core philosophy for them.  So that is the standard in my mind that I have of Crown.  This year...sure if it is a one off then "It IS"... but if the change is "for good" as someone suggested above then, that could be a turn-off in the future.  We will just have to wait and see.

<This is purely a guess, I have no inside info>

I would not be surprised if Crown adds something big visually come prelims. I felt like by the last week of 2015 and 2016, the show's became a little stale that prevented them from surging in GE. Like the huge banners in 2015 that kind of lost their sparkle after a while. I could see them adding a new tarp or make something of those percussion islands. Could be wrong and they are just polishing. I saw the Massillon show and more of the guard work popped for the weapon line. Idk if it was new or just more clean, too lazy to go back and look. 

1 hour ago, palmettomello said:

I would not be surprised if Crown adds something big visually come prelims. I felt like by the last week of 2015 and 2016, the show's became a little stale that prevented them from surging in GE. Like the huge banners in 2015 that kind of lost their sparkle after a while. I could see them adding a new tarp or make something of those percussion islands. Could be wrong and they are just polishing. I saw the Massillon show and more of the guard work popped for the weapon line. Idk if it was new or just more clean, too lazy to go back and look. 

Yea, I'm sure they're cooking something up.  

2 hours ago, palmettomello said:

From what I'm being told and have seen the changes are going to be more subtle, but there will be something different each night. The staff has been planning the Saturday night show the entire season.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Just Here said:

I'm not sure how this response addresses what I said. There are three primary things I am challenging in the concept of Crown's show this year. First, it is not a show about deconstruction musically. They would not dare jeopardize a stellar brass line by placing music that could be considered formally deconstructive. Second, and this is directed specifically at my comment that you copied, deconstruction by definition in non-conventional. To be deconstructive is in many sense to be non-explanatory because the more you explain, the more conventional one becomes. Third, deconstruction is a formally marginal concept that does not easily assimilate into mainstream culture by and large. Therefore, it is not likely to be appealed to by the culture at large. These presuppositions lead me to the conclusion that the goal of this show was to be exclusive rather than inclusive in its approach, meaning that it seems more about ego than an attempt to reach the average audience member.

Very salient. I agree with basically everything in this post. 

• Like 1

With all the arguing, I just want to wish Crown 3 fantastic runs!! Can't wait to see you guys! Love the show or hate it, I for one love seeing something new and a risk. It excites me for a new future for Crown! Hope these kids had the summer of their lives!!!

• Like 8