Carolina Crown 2017

Congratulations to Carolina Crown on another great year.  There is so much to be proud of for this group.  

1. A corps that has earned a medal for 5 out of the last six years
  2. A Brass section that has earned their 6th Ott Trophy in the last nine years
  3. A Percussion Section that has made great strides, improving from 7th three years ago to 4th this year, including tackling that great Akiho piece.
  4. A Guard section that improved all year to overcame staff and turnover changes which are challenging to any corps.  You guys were great to watch this season.
  5. But I think most importantly, taking ownership of a challenging show concept, and SELLING it.  You guys swung for the fences this year, and in my book, knocked it out of the park.

And a special shout out to Anna.  You are awesome.

Thanks for another great year, from this proud alum.

• Like 9

Anybody know how many age outs Crown had this year? Bluecoats had 55

4 hours ago, msumello said:

I believe 11 in the drumline and pit and 7 in the guard. Haven't heard anything about brass numbers though.

4 hours ago, msumello said:

Wow, that's a ton. But I guess that's what happens when you have 80% retention from the previous year.

SCV had even more age outs but I think their percussion is intact as most moved up from Vanguard Cadets...which is crazy.

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Wow, that's a ton. But I guess that's what happens when you have 80% retention from the previous year.

SCV had even more age outs but I think their percussion is intact as most moved up from Vanguard Cadets...which is crazy.

Bloo's solo trumpet still has several more years to play.  While I'd love for him to join Crown, I think he's found a home with Bluecoats which is great!

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks the microphone issue is worth talking about?  I'm speaking as a long-term Crown fan who initially disliked (but was intrigued by) this season's design.  By Prelims, I had come around and was rooting for Crown.  They brought the house down Thursday night, and it seemed the judges were poised to reward them by Semis and Finals.  Friday's performance was unfortunate.  Saturday's was shocking.  

What explanations have been provided?  Was there sabotage?  Have any apologies been made?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Am I the only one who thinks the microphone issue is worth talking about?  I'm speaking as a long-term Crown fan who initially disliked (but was intrigued by) this season's design.  By Prelims, I had come around and was rooting for Crown.  They brought the house down Thursday night, and it seemed the judges were poised to reward them by Semis and Finals.  Friday's performance was unfortunate.  Saturday's was shocking.  

What explanations have been provided?  Was there sabotage?  Have any apologies been made?

Mic worked perfectly hours earlier at rehearsal and I doubt they changed a thing for the performance. So I don't know what to say. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ediker said:

I feel the mic issue cost them the championship in 2015, they had a long wait prior to their final run, knew the mic was dead and it rattled the corps, tanked their show.  So yes, i’s worth talking about. I pin it on the staff. I don’t know why they don’t have a back up, plugged in and ready to go, don't know why all corps wouldn't

• Like 2