Carolina Crown 2017

3 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I feel the mic issue cost them the championship in 2015, they had a long wait prior to their final run, knew the mic was dead and it rattled the corps, tanked their show.  So yes, i’s worth talking about. I pin it on the staff. I don’t know why they don’t have a back up, plugged in and ready to go, don't know why all corps wouldn't

And when would she have gone and got the backup? In the middle of the performance sometime? Anna didn't have a "break" to go get a new mic.

7 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I feel the mic issue cost them the championship in 2015, they had a long wait prior to their final run, knew the mic was dead and it rattled the corps, tanked their show.  So yes, i’s worth talking about. I pin it on the staff. I don’t know why they don’t have a back up, plugged in and ready to go, don't know why all corps wouldn't

I did not know the same thing happened in 2015. It seems rather bushleague to not have redundant equipment and a backup plan (say, a wired mic) available to avoid disasters. 

22 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

And when would she have gone and got the backup? In the middle of the performance sometime? Anna didn't have a "break" to go get a new mic.

Have her wear both, some had waves back and forth between her and the mixer board to switch input channels as she switches the mic or train a pit member to tech and swap out defective mics

If you go to a business meeting, they often have these redundancies built in with even the most basic a/v, this is not high concept stuff

• Like 1

They had a mic in 2015? For the soloist in the ballad or something else?

As for this year, I don't think a perfectly working mic was going to push the show to 2nd, but really hated it for the kids and for Anna. :41_pensive:

It was a mic for the bari solo in the ballad of 2015. They lined up on the field, stood there for a very long time as the tech ran around frantically. Even in the stands, we knew something wasn't right.  Finally, they had to start (or risk a penalty) and when they hit the solo, no mic. It seem to rattle their entire performance and seeing they dropped from first in Semis to Second in finals, which has only happened maybe 2 times in the build up system….it’s not a stretch to say it cost them the championship

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cowtown said:

If you go to a business meeting, they often have these redundancies built in with even the most basic a/v, this is not high concept stuff

No, it's not high concept stuff.  It's also more than likely the meeting will be paused or take a coffee break while the mike issue is sorted out.  Kinda hard to do that during a drum corps performance, don't you think?

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

It was a mic for the bari solo in the ballad of 2015. They lined up on the field, stood there for a very long time as the tech ran around frantically. Even in the stands, we knew something wasn't right.  Finally, they had to start (or risk a penalty) and when they hit the solo, no mic. It seem to rattle their entire performance and seeing they dropped from first in Semis to Second in finals, which has only happened maybe 2 times in the build up system….it’s not a stretch to say it cost them the championship

I don't even remember a bari solo in 2015. It was a flugelhorn and it was fine on finals night.

Edited by cube

29 minutes ago, cowtown said:

It seem to rattle their entire performance and seeing they dropped from first in Semis to Second in finals, which has only happened maybe 2 times in the build up system….it’s not a stretch to say it cost them the championship

The recaps sheet points to visual analysis and percussion.

Crown was up 0.35 in GE Music, 0.2 in Brass, and 0.1 in Music Analysis over BD. 
Crown was down 0.25 in GE Visual, 0.1 in VP, 0.6 in VA, 0.2 in CG, and 0.75 in Percussion to BD.

If it "rattled" performance it was somehow visually and percussively, but a mic issue itself didn't cause Crown to lose by 0.575.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

I thought it was a Flugel solo in the ballad for Inferno.  I also recall being relieved that he nailed it, but my memory sucks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, runyancm said:

I thought it was a Flugel solo in the ballad for Inferno.  I also recall being relieved that he nailed it, but my memory sucks.

You are correct.

• Like 1